cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port persists on vlan1, even after doing 'native vlan 9'

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

My goal is to unassign all ports from vlan1.

I did the 'switchport trunk native vlan 9'. However, port g0/24 persists on vlan1.

What am I missing?

sw2#show run int g0/24

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 226 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/24

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 9 <===========================

switchport trunk allowed vlan 9

switchport mode trunk

speed 100

duplex full

end

sw2#show vlan

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Gi0/24, Gi0/25, Gi0/26

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Marlon,

'switchport access vlan x' will be effective when port is an access port again

From a technical point of view if the port is a trunk and vlan1 is not permitted on it you can say it is not part of vlan1.

This show reports administrative information.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thats because the access vlan is still 1 , if you change the access port to 9 it will change , switchport access vlan 9 . Are those trunks working currently , usually a trunk will not even show what the access vlan is if the trunk is working. The show vlan command tells you what vlan the port would be in if it was in access mode and not trunk mode.

Traffic is flowing and I can get to other devices via the trunk.

Hey, is there any implication in doing the 'switchport access vlan x' on a port which is actually on a trunk?

I always thought that or you are in trunk or you are in 'mode access'... that's new to me.

Hello Marlon,

'switchport access vlan x' will be effective when port is an access port again

From a technical point of view if the port is a trunk and vlan1 is not permitted on it you can say it is not part of vlan1.

This show reports administrative information.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

rakesh.hegde
Level 1
Level 1

As mentioned on your other post below, this is because either gig 0/24 is down or not trunking. It's got nothing to with native vlans. The port is considered to be in administratively configured vlan(vlan 1 if not conigured) if it can not beceome a trunk.

show int gig 0/24 switchport should help

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf;jsessionid=F5FBE89F4279D5CCDB2646773121B968.SJ1B?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26lo...

-Rakesh

dasmith58
Level 1
Level 1

You have to put the interface on the other end of the trunk link in native vlan 9 as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card