Views
Helpful
Replies

AP not registering in Controller

aslamta123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have four AIR-WLC4404-100-K9 controller and AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 and AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9 AP's in production.

Recently I connected one AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 AP to the controller after upgrading the AP to LWAPP image. It got registered with controller first and after reboots it fails.

It was showing a message " %LWAPP-3-CLIENTEVENTLOG: Did not get any DNS options from DHCP for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER " then I crated entry for “cisco-lwapp-controller” in DNS server, but again it fails to connect. Now AP resolving a wrong IP (10.32.32.19) from DNS. My actual controller IP is 172.16.159.2 and It could resolve properly if try from PC.

When I upgraded the AP to LWAPP it did not generate a SSC.

Can anyone help me to resolve this issue? Is the problem with DNS or SSC or region of the AP? It's the first time I am connecting a AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 AP.

2 Replies 2

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

The problem is both the SSC and the controller. Reset the AP to autonomous and attach it to a local switch port on the same network as the management interface of the controller. Run the upgrade again and this should solve your problem. DNS is a great way to load the controller location to your APs but you must make sure that DHCP is actually running on the vlan your APs exist on and that the IP helper and scope point to the right place with either DNS or Option 43 so that the controller can see the AP when the AP is upgrading. I always test this with a laptop if using DNS to verify I am getting the right DNS info. Sometimes for whatever reason this fails. If it does I like to do the method above just to insure I get a clean boot the first time. If you prime the AP in the lab make sure you go back in and point the AP to the production controller and add the SSC security hash to the production controller as it will only be on the original lab controller by default.

You are not handing out domain information in your DHCP. It looks like your AP has a default domain of cisco.com. If you ping cisco-lwapp-controller.cisco.com, you will see that it resolves to 10.32.32.19. Update your DHCP, manually assign a domain (or clear the default domain), or add Option 43 info to tell your AP where to find the controller.

Once you do that, you'll still have to deal with the SSC issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card