cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound emails being denied

jerry.orlando
Level 1
Level 1

Inbound emails are down. Outbound works.

the ASA 5510 shows this in the log.

Deny tcp src outside:209.252.33.110/38723 dst inside:63.243.80.11/25 by access-group "inside_access_out" [0x0, 0x0]

One minute everything was ok then it stopped working.

In the inside interface(incoming rules), i have a rule that states (source) email server name (destination) any (service) smtp (action) permit.

In the outside interface(incoming rule), i have a rule that states.. (source) any (destination) public ip of email server (service) smtp (action) permit.

Any ideas?

thanks

4 Replies 4

darkbeatzz
Level 1
Level 1

From the mail server/appliance can you telnet to a destination server on port 25? Is DNS working ok on the server

darkbeatzz
Level 1
Level 1

From the mail server/appliance can you telnet to a destination server on port 25? Is DNS working ok on the server/mail appliance

Here's an update. On the outside interface incoming rules...i changed the service from SMTP to ANY and emails started flowing in.

But it has always worked the the way. Why would it stop working now?

There is nearly always a cause for these problems.

Have you checked around the time this issue occurred for anything strange in the ASA syslog events?

Was the IOS upgraded?

Did someone add/remove a command?

Did you check 'show service-policy' and see if 'inspect esmtp' drops was incrementing?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card