cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence without Active Directory

youssef.shaaban
Level 1
Level 1

I have CUCM 7.0.2 and CUP 7, The CUCM is working now with its corporate Directory as the active directory deployment will delay for a while due to some issues, we need to configure the CUP to integrate with the users in the CUCM Corporate Directory, and i wanna know if this is applicable and if yes is there any features I'll loose.

10 Replies 10

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Yes, you may use CUPS without Active Directory, but some features are degraded or lost.

#1 It's very inconvenient when you try to add contacts to your buddy list. Without LDAP, you'll have to use the CUPS user option page, which does not allow you to add phone number or email address. You have to use CUPC to add those information after using the user option page.

#2 Without LDAP, you'll lose name resolution feature on phone numbers (ie. you'll see phone number instead of names). This would affect the "escalate voice call to web conference" feature. Without name resolution, CUPC won't be able to find the other party's user name by looking at phone number.

#3 You have to make sure user IDs in CUCM match user IDs in LDAP. Otherwise, you'll missing presence info.

Hope this help.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

#3 You have to make sure user IDs in CUCM match user IDs in LDAP. Otherwise, you'll missing presence info.

what do you mean by LDAP as i already dont have LDAP now.

LDAP means Active Directory, Netscape Directory, etc.

Michael

AS i told you i don't have Active Directory and I'll integrate with the CUCM Corporate Directory, do you mean that I have to insure that the user id in CUCM is as same in Active Directory after integrating the CUPS with Active Directory?

Couple things first:

#1 You may or may not integrate CUCM with LDAP.

#2 You may or may not configure LDAP for CUPC

#3 There's no such thing called "CUPS integrate with LDAP". The configuration you're seeing on CUPS server is actually for CUPC.

The recommended way is to have CUCM and CUPC integrated with LDAP. You might also run into the following scenarios:

1) CUCM is LDAP integrated. But CUPC is not (I really can't think of a reason why you want to do that)

2) CUCM is NOT LDAP integrated. But CUPC is. This is common for quite many customers. In this scenario, you need to make sure the user ID in CUCM is the same as in the LDAP.

3) Neither CUCM, nor CUPC is LDAP integrated. This is your scenario. Since you don't have LDAP anywhere, you may just ignore rule #3 in my previous post.

Michael

Hi Michael,

thanks for clearing it, i now have the CUCM and CUPS running without LDAP and in the CUPS user options i added a contact and it appears in the CUPC but when i try to modify this contact and add a phone number to it it dont save the phone number and i cant place a call from the CUPC also the IPPM sometimes it work and sometimes fail.

Thanks,

Oh... sorry for the incorrect information. If you created the contact from web, you CANNOT add more details. If you create the contact from within CUPC, you could. Really a pain though. :(

Michael

when i added the contact from web i cant add number for it so i cant place a call to this contact.

when i added the contact from CUPC i can add a number for it but when i try to place a call it appear on CUPC that its placing a call but the called phone doesn't feel anything.

Hello for sync user from CUCM what i have to do?

I using IM and Presence 9.1.1

Because on this client he will install an AD next year.

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nothing, you get the users from CUCM via the AXl integration between them.
CUCM can be LDAP integrated or not, but you'll use UDS for jabber on that scenario.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: