Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Address scheme change

Hi Group,

We're considering changing our IP scheme and I wanted to get some input. Currently, we have about 13 locations running data and

voice. An example of our current IP scheme is this:

Network ID: 10.20.118.0

Router IP: 10.20.118.10

Switch Mgt IP: 10.255.118.1

Data Vlan: 10.20.118.1

Voice Vlan: 172.20.118.1

Static range: 10.20.118.1-29 & 10.20.118.100-255

DHCP range: 10.20.118.30-100

Phone IPs: 172.20.118.x

Our remote locations all follow the same pattern, with the third octet changing (e.g. 112 replaces 118). The reasoning behind teh

change is that We want to segment servers from workstations from printers for security and performance reasons.The proposal that

has been put forth is something like:

Servers: 10.1.10.x

Workstations: 10.1.20.x

Printers: 10.1.30.x

Phones: 10.1.40.x

All three segments would be on the same physical network. I have no idea what address would be assigned to the switches or the

router. Also, phones would be on a separate VLAN from the servers/workstations/printers.

Is this possible? Any thoughts?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That seems fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. How would a workstation know how to get to the server? Any suggestions on what IPs to assign VLANS, switches, routers? If we assigned an IP address to a VL

---------------------

DISREGARD THIS RESPONSE

---------------------

Thanks for the quick reply. How would a workstation know how to get to the server? Any suggestions on what IPs to assign VLANS, switches, routers? I guess I really don't get it. I thought devices on the same network had to share the same network ID or there had to be a router that connected the different networks together.

Do you have a network person in your team? He/she should be able to work out the details. Or you can start with a networking primer on cisco or other site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: