Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11n

Manish Prasad
Level 5
Level 5

Hi NetPros,

Small question as the new Cisco 5508 Wireless Controllers is out in the market which works on 802.11n technology, so how it is different from any 802.11g WLC in compare to speed,non overlapping channel and security point of view.

Thanks

Prasad

5 Replies 5

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The 5508 has 8 gigabit port that can be put into a LAG bundle compared to the 2 or 4 that were available in the 4400's. The hardware architecture also has been changed to provide faster processing of packets through the controller.

Thank You Dan

"Delivers more efficient roaming, with at least nine times the throughput of existing 802.11a/g networks" can you explain its meaning.

My understanding is that it can also simultaenously join/upgrade up to 100 APs at a time (4400's will handle 10 and current WiSMs handle 20, I think)

JASON BOYERS
Level 5
Level 5

Existing controllers (440x, 21xx, WiSM, etc) running v4.2 or greater already support 802.11n, as they support the 1252 access points. Also, non-overlapping channels does not change for 802.11n - it uses the same channels as 802.11a/b/g. Security options for wireless clients remain the same, from what I am seeing.

The big thing for speed, as was alluded to earlier, is that with 8 SFP ports, you can set up link aggregation to use up to 8Gbps.

The more efficient roaming is due to the fact you can now have 250 APs on the one controller, which means you can reduce inter-controller roaming.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: