CUPC can't login, SIP problem?

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2009


So I have everything setup correctly (I believe) in CUPS and on CUCM. I am unable to login to CUPC. Everything is licensed and devices are created, but I think my issue is with the LDAP auth, or the actual SIP trunk. In CUPS I can view all of the users in our network, so I believe that LDAP directory is working. When I run the troublehshooter, the only error I get is with the SIP Publish Trunk:

"Verify SIP Publish Model The Troubleshooter has encountered an internal error on this test The Troubleshooter was unable to perform this test due to an internal error "

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
testeven Wed, 05/20/2009 - 10:05


Check that the destination of the SIP trunk on CUCM is a valid IP address and restar CUPS services. Then run the troubleshooter again.

Hope this helps!



If it helps, please rate! :)

mikeduffy13 Wed, 05/20/2009 - 10:26

Thanks! So I did have to modify the address on the SIP trunk on the CUCM side. That problem is now fixed when running the troubleshooter. Problem is, I still can't login to CUPC...

testeven Wed, 05/20/2009 - 10:42


Do you get any error message when trying to login?

Check the LDAP configuration and profile configuration under Application->CUPC.

You are probably not authenticating properly to the LDAP server. Make sure your OU is correct and the Bind Distinguished Name too.

This is usually the administrator account, for example:

Go to Application --> Cisco Unified Personal Communicator --> LDAP Profile.

-Click Add New.

-Enter in a name for the profile.

-Enter in a Bind Distinguished Name (DN), this is usually the administrator account.

*Note: DN format example,


-Enter the password for the Bind DN account.

-Enter the search context for where users are located.

*Note: usually, cn=users,dc=domain,dc=com

-Select the Primary LDAP Server.

-Click Save.



You can run a packet capture filtered for LDAP on the machine with CUPC to see what credentials are passed to the LDAP server.

Also try restarting the syncagent on CUPS specially if you recently changed the user's password.

Hope this helps!



If it helps, please rate! :)

htluo Wed, 05/20/2009 - 12:10

SIP trunk has nothing to do with user login.

If you cannot log into CUPC, you should try the following:

1) On CUPS command line, restart Cisco Tomcat with command "utils service restart Cisco Tomcat"

2) If still not able to login, on CUPS serviceability web page, restart "Cisco UP Sync Agent" service.

For more tech tips, take a look at



mikeduffy13 Wed, 05/20/2009 - 14:21

Cool! Restarting Tomcat worked for login. Now I just have to troubleshoot server health issues since it can't connect to presence when logged in...

mikeduffy13 Wed, 05/20/2009 - 15:01

Doing some packet captures, the only sip messages I can see are REGISTER and 401 unauthorized. Does the sip authorization have something to do with the digest credentials for each user?

mikeduffy13 Thu, 05/21/2009 - 08:32

Wonderful, that worked. I also restarted the UP Sync Service. So now I can login and Presence is seen. The only two questions I have left now that I'm at this point are 1. Why would a deskphone not be seen in a Mac client of CUPC and 2. I get busy signals when I try to initiate video calls, what would cause that?

Thanks a bunch. btw - I have checked out other posts in your blog, very helpful.

htluo Thu, 05/21/2009 - 16:59

1. If the issue only happens on Mac version, I really don't know why. :(

2. You might want to check the region setting in CUCM.

CUPC use H.263/264, which the bit rate is 320k. G.711 use 64k. Make sure region setting allow the bandwidth.


mikeduffy13 Fri, 05/22/2009 - 09:07

1. I got the deskphone to show up on the Mac client. line assc. issue...

2. Region bw is 384. CUVA application works fine, just when I am using CUPC, vid calls get bad numbers. I'm assuming that's because I can't place any voice calls via CUPC softphone either...The video call option is grayed out is deskphone is selected.

htluo Fri, 05/22/2009 - 12:57

it's a CSS issue. Check the calling search space on the UPC device. You have to reset the UPC device after you change the CSS.


mikeduffy13 Tue, 05/26/2009 - 07:04

yes it was. oversight on my part, thanks for bringing it to my attention.


This Discussion