Using SIP on Cisco phones on the UC520

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2009

I know that there is a new feature in CME 7.1 and later that I really want to use. This is SIP shared lines, and it allows you to have up to 16 buttons ring on a single button. This is different from buttons assigned to shared octo-lines and overlaid buttons assigned to shared line ephone-dns for phones configured to use SCCP.

I know that you have to manually install SIP firmware for phones and make a lot of changes in CLI in order to use SIP on the phones instead of SCCP on the phones. CCA will only configure SCCP-capable phones in SCCP mode, but will currently configure the Cisco 3911 phone, which supports the SIP protocol and not the SCCP protocol, in SIP mode.

How do I configure the UC520 to use SIP on the 794x, 796x, and 797x phones? Will CCA support SIP on the 794x, 796x, and 797x phones in the future?

Are there any other advantages to using SIP instead of SCCP on Cisco 794x, 796x, and 797x phones on the UC520 with CME 7.1 or later, in addition to having 16 calls per shared line? The SIP shared line feature is a really nice feature, and the only similar options available on these phones in SCCP mode are shared octo-lines or overlaid shared ephone-dns.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Marcos Hernandez Wed, 05/20/2009 - 20:10

Hi John,

Support for SIP loads on the 7900 phones is not planned for CCA. If you really needed to implement this model, you would have to use CLI. We do not restrict the SIP CME feature. Please notice that on the UC500 this NOT officially supported, so I would advise against going down this path. You would need to evaluate the features that you lose by not doing SCCP.

Thanks,

Marcos