CCNA Security + CCSP

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2009
User Badges:

Greetz,

I am certified CCNA looking to take next steps. I have questions in relation to Security.

I have been in IT for 5 years but not networking role.

If I go after this CCNA Security exam, will finding employment in a security type position be possible? With all the other vendors in the market, does it make sense to pursue CCSP after CCNA-S?

In relation to position, what kind of job roles(titles) do security professional have? Are they mostly consultants that help companies out from time to time, or are they working for a company securing their company's network? Are there a lot of people in the work force that are stricly Cisco security professionals and that's their breads and butters?

Are CCNA S and CCSP realistic certs for someone like me to go after, with just having a CCNA?

Do the security professionals reading this enjoy what they do for a living?

Just looking for proper steps to take my career. ty for all answers and for reading

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
turnera Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:08
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

You really need to get into the field and work it for some time before you go down this route. CCNA-Security and the CCSP are not an easy thing to book learn. Having the hands-on here helps tremendously.

Find a job working in the area (I know easier to talk about than it is to find one!) and then get the exposure to all things Cisco security related, then revisit the CCNA-Security and CCSP track.

Keep looking for a job in Cisco security the field, the are out there you just got keep at it.

You mention you are in an IT field, is there any opportunity for exposure to netowrk security where you work?

cameron.moody Thu, 06/11/2009 - 23:20
User Badges:

I totally agree that the CCSP track would be very hard without the experience. Also with this if you do get CCSP and have no experience it may make it harder for you to get a position because some employers may think you are "over qualified" for an entry level security role.

I know from my experience and people I know, is that all that is often required to get into an entry level security role is the "standard CCNA". This is because you need to know the fundamentals of how networks work before you can "secure it".

Also you and often more importantly (ESPECIALLY with CCSP) is that for a lot of it there aren't simulators. Granted there is GNS3 for the router and PIX/ASA code but nothing that I know of for the IPS exam etc. Also to use GNS3 you also need the image and for PIX/ASA a valid activation key for a lot of the functionality. Because of this hands on work is the best, and depending on company may even have a lab for you to learn on.

HTH

Actions

This Discussion