Views
Helpful
Replies

Dividing a serial link's bandwidth

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a link with 2 cisco routers on either end. The link is 2Mbps in size and I would like to take about 128Kbps off that line but still let it run over the same line using the same routers.

I want to route all my traffic over the 1920K line and nothing over the 128K.

So if the 1920Kbps link is full I can still reach the remote router by using the 128K part of the bandwidth.

I would like to know what this setup is called please? Technically it is not load balancing, although I recall having seen this done, but forgot the technical term.

Any help much appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It is not possible to be very granular in BW with the pre-MQC methods. Beside, they are now deprecated.

If you have channelized hardware, you can configure different channel-groups to statically divide BW, but that is not a very good idea because the non-priority traffic will be unable to use all the physical circuit not even when there is no priority traffic. And the priority traffic will be slower all the time (longer serialization time).

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

View solution in original post

According to the previous post, he's right. Modular QoS is the way to do what you want to. If your router doesn't support it, you may need to do an IOS update. The later IOS versions will support CBWFQ which will allow you to be able to segment your traffic, apply shaping/policing on that traffic, and prioritize traffic.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's called QoS modular CLI. You ACL the traffic you want to give a certain BW, apply the policy to the interface and you're done. Find examples with the CCO searchbox.

Hi

Thanks for teh quick reply. I recall this setup being done about 8 or so years ago, before QoS was introduced. Any other (non-QoS modular CLI) ideas?

Thanks again for the help.

regards

willemvw

It is not possible to be very granular in BW with the pre-MQC methods. Beside, they are now deprecated.

If you have channelized hardware, you can configure different channel-groups to statically divide BW, but that is not a very good idea because the non-priority traffic will be unable to use all the physical circuit not even when there is no priority traffic. And the priority traffic will be slower all the time (longer serialization time).

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Regarding the rating to my post above:

The information I gave is 100% correct.

On the other hand, the attitude shown in low rating it, needs major adjustment.

Do not vent your frustration on who tells you the truth just because it is not what you wanted to hear.

According to the previous post, he's right. Modular QoS is the way to do what you want to. If your router doesn't support it, you may need to do an IOS update. The later IOS versions will support CBWFQ which will allow you to be able to segment your traffic, apply shaping/policing on that traffic, and prioritize traffic.

HTH,

John

Hi

I am sad to say that I have not yet entered ANY ratings for this post. I understand you are not aiming at an individual in specific, but I would like to add that I find this forum extremely helpful and usually rate either a 5 if it solves my problem. Or I just don't give a rating if I didn't find what I was looking for.

For this posting, you have solved my problem and I would like to thank you for your time and effort you have put in to get me on the right track! :)

Regards

willemvw

You're very welcome! Hope it helps and you get your problem resolved :-)

John

Willem,

please excuse me if it looked like I was assuming the low rating came from you.

Thank you and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco