cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port forwarding on a Linksys RV042

jsimons
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to limit the SMTP traffic from the WAN to my mail server to only receive mail from my spam pre-filtering source. I have set up the access rules in the firewall section, but cannot figure out how to direct the traffic to the specific IP on the inside of the network other than through port forwarding. The problem is that port forwarding does not limit the SMTP traffic according to the access rules. It appears that the port forwarding supercedes the access list. How can I set it up so that SMTP traffic from the clean source gets directed to the correct LAN IP? Thanks for any help you can provide

2 Replies 2

ldardon
Level 1
Level 1

Port Range Forwarding allows an IP address or range of IP address to use a certain application port. This usually used for servers like a web, ftp, or mail server. Take note that you need to know the respective port numbers they are using. For example, port 80 (HTTP) is used for web; port 21 (FTP) is used for FTP, and port 25 (SMTP outgoing) and port 110 (POP3 incoming) are used for the mail server. You can get more information by viewing the 10/100 8-Port VPN Router documentation provided with the server you installed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9923/products_qanda_item09186a0080a3655c.shtml

I had already figured it out. Thanks for the input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card