Multiple sip services on uc520

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2009

I saw a video on configuring sip accounts on the uc520 from the small business community and the instructor had one sip account authenticating to a VoIP provider with 3 external numbers coming in to be able to use it as a direct inward dial solution to different phone extensions.

I have been in contact with Cisco and have been told the uc520 cannot support more than one authentication account, so I have been trying to find a VoIP provider in Australia that can support multiple sip services under the one authentication account. All the providers I have been in contact with so far have a separate username and password for each sip account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Harper Wed, 05/20/2009 - 23:54

Hi Steve,

What you have heard is correct - the UC500 at this point in time can not register with multiple providers or fully support multiple accounts on a single provider.  This is something we are working on addressing, but the solution is a way off yet.

However, if you can work within a couple of constraints, you can register multiple accounts with a single service provider.  The way it works is that you specify each account under the user credentials section of the SIP Trunk page in CCA (or by using the 'credentials ...' CLI under 'sip-ua' if you prefer the manual approach), and then map each DID to an extension or hunt group or whatever on the UC500.  The UC500 will register for each of these accounts, and incoming calls will be handled as you would expect.  The caveat here is that all outbound calls must present a common CLID, as the SIP proxy will typically use the CLID to determine which set of credentials should apply.  The credentials for that particular SIP account are configured as the authentication credentials for the SIP trunk, allowing the UC500 to respond correctly when challenged by the SIP proxy.  If you can live within that limitation, then supporting multiple accounts from a single service provider is doable.

Hope that helps.

solutionsbs Thu, 05/21/2009 - 04:38

Ok - thanks Dave. I have heard that it may be supported in the new IOS release sometime soon.

I'll give the other method a try until then.

This Discussion