cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client - Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

andrey.falaleev
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I will really appreciate your advices regarding the following problem:

I cannot establish a VPN connection using Cisco VPN Client software. The error I get is:

"Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.

Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding."

A TCP connection can be established (please see attached log), but then something goes wrong...

I have a Windows PC. Cisco VPN Client version 4.8.02.0010.

Firewall is disabled. To connect to inrenet, I use Dial-up with a USB modem (just a public internet provider). All other LAN/WLAN Windows connections are disabled, only the Dial-up one is enabled.

In VPN Client software, to connect I use an imported profile for TCP tunnel. The profile is 100% all right - it works by other colleagues, but they connect to internet another way.

Thanks a lot for ANY help!

3 Replies 3

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

Enable NAT-T in the head end VPN device in order to resolve this error.

mj11
Level 3
Level 3

This can be caused by one or more of these issues.

The host name or IP address of the remote server configured in the VPN client is incorrect.

The group name and password configured in the VPN Client does not match with the group name and password on the headend device. The group name and password are case-sensitive; these can have been typed incorrectly.

The VPN Client does not have IP connectivity to the remote server, or traffic is blocked by a device between the client and the remote server.

Resolution

Complete these steps in order to resolve this issue:

Verify that the hostname or IP address for the remote server configured in the client is correct.

Verify the group name and password configured on VPN client. Right-click Connection entry > Modify > authentication tab in order to do this. These must match with the group name and password configured on the remote server.

Ping the IP address of the remove server in order to verify that the VPN Client device has IP connectivity to the remote server.

Check to see that Internet Key Exchange (IKE) or IPsec traffic is not blocked by a device between the VPN Client and the remote server .

If all above is correct I would upgrade the VPN client software to a later version.

Regards MJ

shubhalternate1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I had a similar problem with Cisco VPN client Version 5.0.07.0290 on Windows 8.1  64-bit.

It gave a popup as mentioned above.  I solved the issue by first

Disabling Internet Connection Sharing service 

Press Window + R to open run command

Type in services.msc and press enter or OK

Search for Internet Connection Sharing service, stop the service and right on it and disable it.

After this you need to make registry changes

1. Open Registry editor regedit in Run prompt 
2. Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA 
3. Select (double Click) the Display Name to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data value as shown below:

i.) Below is the value for Display name:
"@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows
ii.) Change it to the following by removing the leading characters from the Value -->

"Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows"

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: