cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Adapter

randy_drummer
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have a backup adapter with the same MAC ID as my current adapter? Concerned that my adapter has a hardware failure, I would then lose my line for a couple days while my provider sends out another adapter with a different MAC ID, which would require them to port the lines over to the new MAC ID.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which adapter are you talking about ?

What have lines have to do with MAC ?

SPA2102-R This is VOIP.

Qwest has the service. When they ported my land lines over, they associated the phone # with the MAC ID from the adapter. They screwed up and had one of my #'s associated with the wrong MAC ID. So it took a couple days to get it over to the MAC ID on my adapter and then the line started working.

SPA2102-R This is VOIP.

Qwest has the service. When they ported my land lines over, they associated the phone # with the MAC ID from the adapter. They screwed up and had one of my #'s associated with the wrong MAC ID. So it took a couple days to get it over to the MAC ID on my adapter and then the line started working.

No, you cannot ever have a device with the same MAC of another. Guess you'll have to deal with the fault if it happens. Hopefully it doesn't.

What do businesses do as a backup? I assume they utilize the same hardware setup, obviously with more function/capabilities.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: