Views
Helpful
Replies

Access privillage to Username

vinoth.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can any one guide me setting up the privillages for the username in router and switches

in router we created the username and given the privillage to 15 which was fine having full access to config

but we need one more username to see only the running config and not to modify the configuration on the router

i tried by giving the access privilage level starting from 1 to 15 like the below but nothing made different except 1 and 15

username admin privillage 15 password cisco

username admin1 privillage 7 password cisco1

can i know what are feature for level 0 15 so that i will use accordingly

thnaks in advance

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Vinoth,

You set the privileges that you want your users to have.

15 is ALL privileges, and 1 is nothing (pretty much).

You can set your privilege levels in global config:

privilege exec level 3 show running-config

username test privilege 3 pass test

The problem with this is when you do a show run under this user account, it will be blank. You'll have to give your levels appropriate access to everything you want them to see.

privilege configure level 3 access-list

The above will allow the level 3 user to see an access-list in the running config. As you can see, it can get very monotonous to configure. You may want to look into views which is much easier to configure, and much more consistent.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks for your reply

for viewing the access-list alone we need to configre privillage configure level 3 acccess-list

if we need to show all the config except the username and password then LINE as to be mentioned

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card