Unprepared for a frame relay configuration question

Unanswered Question
May 21st, 2009

Hello all,

I passed the Icnd 1 exam today, but was shocked to find a frame relay question on the exam that I could not answer. The question involved something about linking frame relay to an ip network using a command I am unfamiliar with. I found no mention of the process in the Icnd book 1. I only thought basic knowledge of frame relay was necessary for the exam. Any clarification will be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jimmysands73_2 Thu, 05/21/2009 - 20:06

Negative shipmate, you have to know FrameRelay for the CCNA test. I am taking the full test soon, so can not answer your specific ICND question, but in my Networking Academy class we had to know how to setup/configure/troubleshot frame-relay, along with all the related terms/acronymns. Its mentioned in your curriculumn...

This sample chapter, taken from Cisco Press' CCNA ICND Exam Certification Guide (CCNA Self-Study, 640-811, 640-801), 4th Edition, provides detailed technical descriptions of Frame Relay terms and concepts, protocol specifications, and multiple configuration options.

quoted from

mparris1137 Sat, 05/23/2009 - 00:26

Thank you for your response and I am in agreement with you that Frame Relay must be understood for aquisition of the CCNA. My problem is that upon inspection of my ICND 1 book I found no mention of actual Frame Relay configuration process. Delving deeper into the matter, and as I cracked open the Icnd 2 book, I saw exactly what I was tested on in the 640-822 exam. My confusion lies in the fact that the ICND 2 book covers 640-816 material and it seems I was tested on this in the 640-822 exam. I purchased my ICND book set last year and I am wondering if possibly editing may be a factor in the missing information?

howtonetwork Tue, 05/26/2009 - 03:34

I'm afraid that the syllabus can't be relied on as an exact indicator of what you will be asked in the exam. I don't think it mentions hex for example but that can come up.

There is a WAN exam I have written which may benefit you but in the meantime I suggest you do some frame relay labs which I have found is the best way to understand it.

This Discussion