Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to enable IP SLA on cisco switch

Hi guys,

I am trying to enable IP SLA on a Cisco 4948 switch (running 'cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-46.SG.bin') to test CiscoWorks IPM using this swtich as a source device. But I can't run the command "ip sla monitor" on this switch. It just has "ip sla responder". Does anyone can help me, please? Is it possible to configura IP SLA on this source switch? Or can I do it only on routers?

Thanks,

Regards.

Flaviano.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This switch, and this IOS version are supported for IP SLA. However, the feature set is not. IP SLA is only supportedo n feature sets higher than IPBASE. You will need to put on an ENTERPRISE SERVICES image to get IP SLA operation support.

With IPBASE, the device will only be able to act as a responder.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This switch, and this IOS version are supported for IP SLA. However, the feature set is not. IP SLA is only supportedo n feature sets higher than IPBASE. You will need to put on an ENTERPRISE SERVICES image to get IP SLA operation support.

With IPBASE, the device will only be able to act as a responder.

Ok, thanks again Joe!

So, I can't use this device as a source device used by IPM, right?

Another question: I must configure at least a collector on a source device to use IPM, right? I think I've read this on manual some time ago, but can't find it anymore. Is there any document/guide which says this?

Thank you,

Regards!

Flaviano.

No, this device cannot be used as a source device unless you upgrade the feature set.

Yes, in order to use IPM, you must have at least one IOS device capable of acting as an IP SLA source, and you must install at least one collector on that source.

Has anyone been able to confirm that IP SLA is supported on the Enterprise IOS for the 4948?

IPSLA is supported in Cisco 800, 1700,1800, 2600,2800, 3500, 3750, 3600,3700, 3800, 4500, 6500, 7200, 7500, 7600, 10000, and 12000, ASR-1K Series Routers. Future support includes CRS-1, ONS ML Card, and Cisco 7970 IP phones in 2005.

IPSLA-VO (Video Operation) is supported on Cisco Catalyst 3560-X, 3750, 3750-E, 3750-X, 3650, and 3650-E Series switches & EtherSwitch Service Modules (SM-ES3G-16-P) which emulates a 3560 switch within the ISR's.  You can use the EtherSwitch Serv Mod in the ISR's as well and use IPSLA-VO.

The 2900/3900 ISR's will support IPSLA-VO natively late this year.

Yes, it is supported on the 4948 since 12.2(31)SGA provided you have an entservices feature set.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco