Views
Helpful
Replies

File copy slowness one direction

sivakumar.ks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Expert,

I am having file copy slowness issue in uni-direction.

Scenario is

Site A

System A -IP address 10.3.6.165

Site B

System B -IP address 10.3.210.150

Site A and SiteB are connected through 10G dark fibre and static route is been used to inter connect site A and Site B . For testing purpose I used 1GB file to copy across. Initially I copied from Site A to Site B and it took less than 2mins to copy the file across site B.

I took the same 1GB file and copied across from siteB to SiteA and it took more than 100mins to copy the file. At both the end operation system is windows 2003 with SP2 even I hardcoded the interface speed to 1000 .

I would like to know what causing this slowness and what are things need to be checked to identified the slowness.

Also traceroute from SiteA to SiteB took 4 hops and from SiteB to SiteA 3 hops , but file copy is faster is from SiteA to SiteB and slower from SiteB to SiteA. Whole network is CISCO farm and the switches involved are 6500, 4500, 3750-E and 3750.

Also we have L2 spanned between site A and SiteB and the subnet 10.3.6.0/24 is spanned via the darkfibre and the file copy is quicker within the same subnet spanned across the darkfibre. But the subnet 10.3.210.0/24 on siteB is in different switch to spanned switch.

Please help me with valuable troubleshooting suggestion.

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Did you check the speed and duplex mode of the switch ports on which the systems are attached?

Best regards

Massimiliano.

yes I check that already, I changed it from Auto to manual 1000MB , full duplex no difference.

I need some troubleshooting tips, since I feel saturated in troubleshooting this.

all we want is speed when copying files...
i used some third party softweres for copying large files and almost it works great...currently i use gs rich copy 360 which is equally usefull to compare with others
..but as i say all we want is speed, so it gives me better speed then others..it is my opinion may be others are also good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card