PVC2300 - Video Monitoring System (3 urgent questions)

Unanswered Question
May 22nd, 2009

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure these questions have been asked before - but could not find answers to these.

Setup:

-------------------

When running a Video Surveillance setup, with up to 16, PVC2300 cameras connected to the Video Monitoring System (LBAVMS16):

1. Does the PC running LBAVMS16 need to be "on" all the time for the video feed to be stored on a NSS device?

2. Is there any difference between the "old Linksys" monitoring software and "LBAVMS16"?

3. Can you run a mixed camera (WVC2300 and PVC2300) environment using "LBAVMS16"?

-------------------

I have a partner testing the solution and I would guess they are not the only ones facing these same questions.

Many thanks in advance!

Rasmus Almqvist, Territory Market Manager

Phone: +358 40 774 6719

Email: rasmus.almqvist@cisco.com

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Fri, 05/22/2009 - 06:20

Hello,

First, you want to use SWVMS16.  Its the newer Small Business Software Video Monitoring System that will work with WVC210, PVC2300, WVC2300, and PVC300 (new).

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/security/small_business_video_surveillance_cameras/index.html

The 'latest' version you will find here is 1.0.0, but when we announce the PVC300 orderable, that should go to 1.0.1.

Please upgrade both the PVC2300 and WVC2300 to 'Camera' FW version 1.0.1 for it to work with SWVMS16.

This SW is free so just come back and check in the coming weeks for the update.

The older LBAVMS16 will not support the PVC300 and has the old Linksys SKIN and is actually a different SW completely.   The newer one is the Cisco small business offering we will have going forward.   The older SW would allow you to set up the motion detection and then it would run in the task bar, and it would record as motion occurred, even though it was not open.

The new SWVMS16 has a concept of a MAIN console (role based access) and after you define the 'Always' on or 'Motion Detection' configuration, you will then need to click on START/STOP in the Recordings GUI Drawer and select START RECORDING SCHEDULE and then all the cameras will have a Green LED indicator on the screen showing they are active and ready and will follow the configuration.   You can minimize it at this point, but you cant close it.  CLosing it will stop the schedule.   The datasheet should show the PC requirements to run this application, and to be honest, if you have more than 4 cameras, this is not a part time task.  Of course, it will depend on the Video quality you set up on each camera, but you will find monitoring 8 cameras will use your CPU and Memory (run the Windows Task manager to see).  This is why for 16 cameras, we recommed a very powerful PC with alot of RAM.

I am running a Dual Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz Machine with 1 GB or RAM and with 4 cameras at Highest quality it runs at 45-55% CPU utilization, just as an example.    So the point is this PC should be pretty much dedicated to this function of monitoring, recording, playback.

Now keep something else in mind.  The Cameras (all of ours) dont need the SWVMS16 to do motion detection to NSS, or EMAIL.  The cameras themselves can FTP (client) motion detection (MPEG4 or MJPEG) direct to NSS (FTP server) or SMTP Mail.  Its configured on the Camera.   And with a PC Browser, you can monitor the Camera, or QuickTime, etc.  The SWVMS just makes it easy to monitor them all in one place with all the convenience and functions you would use in a SMB.  So technically SWVMS16 is not needed to operate motion detection to the NSS, but if you are running SWVMS, then yes, it needs to be on.

In fact, I run BOTH on my cameras.  That is, I have them set to FTP to my NSS, and I also have them monitored by SWVMS.  Our Cameras are dual stream, dual codec, and have no problem with this, and can be monitored from up to 10 HTTP servers as well (RTSP increases that), which is usually enough.

An interesting twist, which is also practiced and supported, is defining the NSS File Share as the SWVMS16 Video Storage location.  Just another option to consider.

Hope this clarifies a little?

Steve DiStefano

SE US Field Channel

response3 Thu, 07/30/2009 - 13:53

Hi All-

I'm also considering rolling this solution out to a small chain of retail stores, 6 cameras per site.  My question is more about how to setup each store for recording and viewing from both within the store and being reviewed remotely.

What I'd like to do is setup a NSS at each store and have the 6 cameras at each record to this device.  SWVMS16 would also be running on a PC in the store for realtime viewing and review of in-store cameras by the store manager.

Then, from a central location, I'd like to have management also able to view the cameras at each remote store and review recordings. I know that SWVMS16 is limited to 16 cameras, and I thought about using the web browser interface as a workaround.

• Is this 16 total cameras, or only 16 can be viewed concurrently?
  • Could I have more than 16 cameras and pick and choose which ones I wanted to view within the 16 limit?
  • What would suggest for this?
  • Each store will be connected to the central site via a DSL (1.5/384) link, so we will be limited in uplink speeds at each store.

Thanks,

Brian

David Hornstein Tue, 08/04/2009 - 07:50

Hi Brian,

Hey man PC's are cheap these days and the CPU requirements for using the new 17meg surveillance application are modest.

Does it make sense just to setup some extra PC with the free cisco monitoring software  to monitor and record  more cameras?

Here are some ideas i would like to run past you.

Brian, you have choices,  you can spend the extra money and buy Milestone or NUUO software to monitor and record more than 16 cameras.

As a rule of thumb, each Camera can manage around 10 concurrent web sessions in it concurrently.  But in your environment sounds like each camera could have maximum about three concurrent sessions at once.

When you have xDSL at each location, you have to worry about overwhelming that dsl uplink interface with high quality video.

There are two main video 'encoders' within each cameras, MPEG4 and MJPEG.

Why not use high speed MPEG4 for recording locally and remotely caputure very very low frame rate  MJPEG images and a remote recording site.

Send low frame rate MJPEGs will hopefully ensure that  you don't overwhelm the dsl uplink at each site.

So, some idea to think about, using my free application, store the camera MPEG4 images to NAS units within each store, but make sure you use the free utility  to record 'only on motion' to conserve NAS space.

At a remote location (remote from each store) capture and record very low frame rate MJPEG images.

At this remote location maybe have multiple PC monitoring and storing video to one of my NAS units, and adjust the recording schedule to again only 'record on motion' to help conserve NAS space.

Note,  And it may sound self evident, using my Free Monitoring software, you can only review and export/save  a recorded video from that PC that recorded that video image.

David

asarutan Mon, 08/17/2009 - 14:08

Hi Dave,

I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be better to record MJPEG locally as it is less compressed thereby using less bandwidth and has better picture quality and use MPEG-4 for remote recording as it uses less bandwidth. This way you can have more frames per second with better resolution. Besides if you have some dropped frames with MJPEG you've still have complete images available to you.

Just my 2 cents......

Alan.

David Hornstein Wed, 08/19/2009 - 21:39

Hi Alan,

I like this thread, good two cents worth. but in my mind I am not concerned about local bandwidth consumed by 16 cameras.

If we create a 2 or 4 meg ethernet stream from camera to local PC, i don't see that as a problem, even on a FastEthernet port (100Mb/sec) i have plenty of capacity available from the switch to the monitoring PC and to a NAS or shared drive.

regards Dave

Actions

This Discussion