Replies

cat 6500 questions

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

on a cat 6500

if I type

hw-module reset, does this reload the backup supervisor? or do I need to type hw-module 6 reset ?

and also, is the command, redundancy reload peer the same thing ?

4 Replies 4

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

the switch will not accept hw-module reset command. you have to include the module to reset. should be "hw-module [1-9] reset". The [1-9] depends on what chassis you have.

the reset will only affect the module you reset. if you reset the active module, the standby will become the active. if you reset the standby, no failover will happen. the active will stay active.

redundancy reload peer Reloads the standby supervisor engine.

redundancy force-switchover Conducts a manual switchover to the standby supervisor engine. The standby supervisor engine becomes the new active supervisor engine

Francisco

hi there

thanks for you reply

one last thing

If i reboot the active supervisor card, will the standby automatically switch over ?

and by default, do I only have to configure 1 supervisor from scratch set up, then once configured, will it copy the whole setup to the standby ?

yes it will. when the standby supervisor engine detects a failure such as a reboot of the active supervisor or manual failover or you take out the active sup engine, the standby becomes the new active supervisor engine.

any configuration changes is done on the active sup engine. the changes are synchronise automatcially to the standby depending on how the sups are setup for suncronization.

see this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/redund.html

and http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper09186a0080088874.html

hi there

i checked this today using some labs, and the whole switch rebooted, can you confirm what should happen ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: