cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing CM 7.X on VM ESX Server

kgroves42
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen a lot of post about how most people have CM 7.X working just fine on the ESXi server.

I am trying to set that up in a lab however I am not as successful. I have set up the VM Machine as a Redhat 4 32 bit machine. 80 gig drive and 2 gig of memory. The server is running on a Machine with 4 gig of memory and about a 300 gig hard drive. The issue I am having is the 7.X CD/ISO loads fine. I go through the platform setup, but when that is complete I get the Red Hat Setup, and it makes me configure the Red Hat configuration such as setting up a root password and setting up the hard drives. But then the install fails after that.

Any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

Ken

6 Replies 6

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

What version of VMWare or ESX server are you using?

ESX version 3.5

Use Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 you will be fine...

Hi,

I did choose this option but it didn't succeed.

Anyway I have recieved the physical servers now and therefore have given up with the virtual environment.

Thanks for your interest.

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

1) Are you running ESXi or ESX?

I've tested it on ESX 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. All works fine. I haven't test it on ESXi.

2) RHEL 4, 32-bit, 80G HDD and 2G RAM is the right configuration. (CM7 based on RHEL4).

3) If you saw RedHat interface, that usually means you're using a non-standard CD/DVD drive (such as USB drive). May I ask how you map the installation disc to VM? Was it an ISO file or was it a physical drive? In VM, was the drive SCSI or IDE?

Thanks!

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: