cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7204VXR 802.1q tunneling

robert.mason
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an IOS update that will allow me to provide vlan tunneling on an ethernet port of a 7204VXR? I do see that the "Software Advisor" does say that vlan tunneling is available in an IOS for the 7200 series router, but all I have been hearing is that the option may be there, but the hardware does not support it. I have NPE-225 at CPE-7204VXR that will tunnel customer vlans into my network vlan. I hope.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is probably referring to VLAN over MPLS, probably not the only way you can resolve your connectivity.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Robert,

VPLS is not supported but you shouldn't need it. IF all you need is a point-to-point tunnel over an IP network I would suggest you to investigate L2TPv3 it can be very effective and can be per vlan specific (you can decide what vlans are carried over the L2TPv3 tunnel on a per subinterface basis).

Given your hardware you should be aware that this solution is good only for a moderate amount of traffic.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043059

Hope to help

Giuseppe

This does help. I was hoping that I could get away from defining each incoming vlan on its own subinterface. Basically, we are tunneling our customer's vlans across our provider network and they have a range of about 200 vlans. It is too bad that the 7200 does not yet do q-in-q on its ethernet ports. I do see the command is there is some IOS versions, but from what I understand it is not yet supported. Is this correct?

Hello Robert,

you probably mean stacked vlans

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/qinq.html

Someone has reported to have used it on C7200 with late 12.4T but they had better processors.

However, 200 Vlans in a C7204VSR with only an NPE 225 let me say that even if supported you are likely to face performance issues on the box.

It is not only a question of how long it takes to configure but 200 Vlans can use all 7200 resources just to propagate broadcast traffic !

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card