Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Bonjour

h-kholghi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We have a Cisco 3550 layer 3 switch with a couple of Vlans. The Vlan routing is enabled. We just started adding some Mac OS X laptops to our network and there is a Mac OS X server that is also a print server. Open Directory service is running on the server. The problem that I am experiencing is that Mac clients which are in the same subnet as the Mac Server can see the printers that are published by the server. However, the clients that are on a different subnet than the Mac Server can't see these printers. After some investigation I found out that I may have to allow Bonjour service to be heard in the other Vlans. I am very new to Mac administration and I do not know if there are other ways to do this. I would like to know how can I route the Bonjour service to the other Vlans? Would this tax the network performance?

Regards,

Hossein Kholghi

5 Replies 5

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

what kind of routing you use on your network? can you post your show ip route and show ip interface brief output and briefly explain the subnet/vlan having connectivity problems.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

what kind of routing you use on your network? can you post your show ip route and show ip interface brief output and briefly explain the subnet/vlan having connectivity problems.

He doesn't have connectivity problems. Most likely he just needs to forward (ip helper) application broadcast from one subnet to another. I have not researched what port bonjour uses, but once you have this information, the configuration is trivial.

good point paolo! hossein can apply the ip helper-address on the svi for the other subnet/vlan. also check for acl/firewall policy blocking udp port 5353.

I would use the direct brodcast address of the other subnet, not an unicast address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card