cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

covad PPPoFR. no default GW. why?

ldmccalla
Level 1
Level 1

according to the docs this config below should work but i don't seem to have a default route installed. whats worse is that i cannot add a static route to the virtual-access interface that gets built after the passwords are accepted.

Leon

-----------------------

interface FastEthernet0/0.3

encapsulation dot1Q 3

ip address 21.13.12.177 255.255.255.248

!

interface Serial0/0:1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

!

interface Serial0/0:1.1 point-to-point

frame-relay interface-dlci 16 ppp Virtual-Template1

!

interface Virtual-Template1

ip address negotiated

ppp chap hostname xxxx

ppp chap password 0 yyyy

ppp ipcp dns request

ppp ipcp route default

ppp ipcp address accept

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm referring to:

ip local pool default 10.10.10.10 10.10.10.11

About which you have not reported.

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have

ppp ipcp route default

consequently configuring default route is unnecessary.

i wish it was that easy. I think covad is not returning a default GW when cisco makes a PPP request for it.

Gateway of last resort is not set

21.13.12.0/29 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C 21.13.12.176 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.3

20.86.15.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C 20.86.15.119 is directly connected, Virtual-Access1

Covad does not need to return anything, the default route is installed once IPCP is open (interface up).

If it doesn't work, may be a bug, just configure default pointing to virtual-template.

Windsor1760(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 virtual-?

Virtual-PPP Virtual-TokenRing

Virtual-Template is not an option for the ip-route statement. the defaut-route is not automatically installed and i cannot manually point it to the Virtual Access interface that is added.

Leon

Not sure, perhaps is virtual-ppp, or just the serial subif.

virtual-ppp can't be added since it doesn't exist and adding the serial sub-int is pointless because the sub-int has "no ip address" and ultimately that route doesn't make it to the route table.

A serial interface doesn't need to have an predetermined IP address to be used in a static route. Or, you can use 20.86.15.119 instead that is the address of remote router.

the IP assigned on the virtual interface is my WAN ip. i don't believe it is the remote IP.

from what i understand, the PPP interface is like a tunnel and i need to send the data down that tunnel. right now the serial interface has no ip and accordingly i cannot add a static route to something that is not IP enabled.

when i add an IP address such as 1.1.1.1 to the serial interface then make the serial interface the default route, packets go out the interface but never make it to the internet.

I need to route down the "Virtual-Access 1" interface but i can't. what am i missing?

Leon

Have you edited the output, right ?

Can you take "debug ppp neg" with "term mon" ? Another /32 route for the peer, should be installed for you to use as default. You can try to use 209.86.152.119 anyway.

i tried to delete the 3rd digit from the IPs to change keep things private but its not working anyway...

here is the debug.

i think the default route is not being added to the PPP profile by my provider. unfortunately Earthlink wants me to use the netopia they sent instead of my 1760 so i can't really complain to them.

on the other hand, i should be able to add a default route to point to the PPP interface but i don't know how to do so.

Leon

Go ahead and use 209.86.152.119 let us know if it works.

Remote doesn't come with an own address and seems even willing to accept one. That is the reason why ppp ipcp default route didn't work in first place.

There is no such thing as passing a default route in PPP, it's purely a local decision.

Windsor1760(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.86.152.119

%Invalid next hop address (it's this router)

Windsor1760(config)#

i'm sure a default gateway is to be assigned the same way the WAN address is assigned. with dial-up PPP you get your IP as well as the default gateway. why shouldn't this be any different.

"ppp ipcp route default" this command should ask for the GW ip i'm sure.

Leon

Dialup PPP is different from router logic, the thing here is that the remote does not communicate an address. Can be an oversight by covad.

The command ppp ipcp route default does not ask for anything, compare traces with and without if you don't believe.

Try this:

interface virtual-template 1

peer default ip address 10.10.10.10

That may lead the ppp ipcp route default to start working once the remote IP address is known.

Windsor1760(config)#int virtual-Tem 1

Windsor1760(config-if)#peer default ip address ?

dhcp Use DHCP proxy client mechanism to allocate a peer IP address

dhcp-pool Use local DHCP pools to allocate a peer IP address

pool Use IP pool mechanism to allocate a peer IP address

Windsor1760(config-if)#peer default ip address 10.10.10.10

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Windsor1760(config-if)#

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: