Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy through internet.

lambay2000
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

One of my Webserver is accessible through internet in cooperate office by static natting on firewall i need to setup with the new connection on DR site incase the cooperate webserver goes down the users on internet should hit on the DR WEBSERVER.

How could i do this???

Thanks

14 Replies 14

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only solution is DNS. In case of DR, change the record to point to the new address.

Hi,

Can u b more specific,i did'nt understood.

My cooperate connection is:

Internet router>Internet firewall>Core switch> and from core switch to the DR router>DR site>

If the webserver in coperate goes down the connection from the internet users will choose the path through the DR router?if the record are pointed in DNS.

Can u explain me in step by step please.

Thanks for ur immediate reply,

Generally DR sites have a separate internet connection, that is not your case ?

Hi bevillacqua,

Am on DR site as well as on cooperate,the DR is build by company itself,Now the managers want the redundancy to be happened between the servers and access to the servers should be in a round robin fashion,

My cooperate is in different location and DR site build by my company is in different location,

Can u explain me in step by step how i should configure to solve this issue.

Please help me to solve this issue.

Appreciate ur reply.

Sorry, can't understand much of what you wrote. Try using different words.

You may also want to spell "corporate" properly.

My company's connection:

Internet Router>>Internet firewall>>Core switch>>DR router>>DR Site>>WEBSERVER

Instead of letting internet users go through the DR internet firewall and to my webserver can i pass them through my core switch>>DR router>>DR site >>Webserver,,In this secanario i should concern with the system administrator for server clustering

if primary webserver goes down the DR webserver will be the backup if am not wrong,

But what about design point of view is it acceptable.

The DNS entries u r talking abt should b on ISP DNS????

Awaiting for ur reply

Yes you can do that, but since it seems to me that you have little networking experience, recommend you hire a reputable consultant or cisco partner for the job.

DNS is not applicable to your case.

Hi bevil,

Forget about the past discussion,

Am working on DR Data center,client comes to host his webserver in my datacenter and that shld be accessible through internet users.

Client is having existing webserver in his corporate accessible through internet users,

Client requirement is that these 2 webservers shld be accessible through internet by round robin fashion but suppose if 1 goes off the traffic for the server (DOWN) which is down shld not be dropped but traffic should hit to the server which is(UP).

How can i do this???

Thanks.

With DNS, you could setup two addresses for the same name, if one is down change the DNS to be one A record only.

It is not a very good idea however and it seems like your client doesn't really know how things are professionally done, servers are never split like that.

Hi Bevil,

The solution provided above is on ISP DNS i guess??

In such requirement Can u suggest me with recommended design.

1 small question,

How yahoo servers are coordinating with each other incase United States all server (cluster) goes down traffic are routed to Europe servers.What they r doing???

Thanks

In most cases, the DNS provider give you tool so you can change your own records.

Major servers never go down, because they are redundant, have load balancing, and a lot of other stuff.

Hi bevil

As per my understanding suppose a user type XYZ.com it will go to his local ISP and in ISP DNS,records must be available for XYZ.com and when a record is found the request is forwarded to the appropriate router to reach the public IP which is static natted to webserver located in coporate.This is what i understand.

Atlast i shld suggest a customer that he shld provide a server redundancy for his webserver on his coporate incase if 1 goes down the another will play the role.

By the above mail of urs i understand that mine DNS shld b statically natted on internet ???? If not then how the users traffic will hit DR webserver.

Am confuse please be more clear so that i dont have to write u again.

Thanks

Hi, there can be multiple A records for a name in DNS, this provides a form a pseudo-load balancing.

I think you should have a deeper read on networking basics before pressing on with customer projects.

group4entr200
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we are a group of purdue students that are doing a success case analysis over cisco as a company. We would really appreciate it if you take a few mintues to answer a couple of questions.

-Are you satisfied with the services provided with this company?

-What do you like/dislike the most about cisco?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: