cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Splitting a Circuit using a Switch

vdadlaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, not sure if this is commonly done but I am trying to confirm if there are any downsides to using a Lan Switch to multiplex a Fat Pipe (10G) and than using a switch carve that 10G out into multiple 1G interface using VLANs. I would assume that with the switches (4948, nexus etc) this seems viable however are there any operational challenges associated. Using a SVI instead of a P2P physical interface across a WAN is one but is there a downside? I can't seem to come up with any negatives. Essentially instead of having the SP carve out the circuit we are doing it using a traditional switch as a sort of multiplexer. This makes it more convenient and I guess cost effective as well just want to confirm if there are any operational/configuration challenges associated. Thx

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are no challenges and it is a very simple configuration.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One possible disadvantage to using a "LAN" switch, it tends to be "feature poor" compared to WAN oriented devices. An alternative you might want to consider is usage one of Cisco's Metro Ethernet Switches. The only model, I believe, that supports 10 gig would be the ME 4924-10GE. (BTW, unclear, beyond the hardware, that's there much feature difference between ME 4924-10GE and the Catalyst 4928-10GE [or 4948-10GE], but other Metro Ethernet Switches might be of additional interest for gig, not 10 gig, uplinks.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco