Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure IP Address on NM-16

tonyraboza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 3725 with Etherswitch NM-16ESW. I was able to configure an IP address on one of the Etherswitch's port before but now:

C3725(config)#int f1/2

C3725(config-if)#ip add

C3725(config-if)#ip address 10.0.8.28 255.255.0.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

C3725(config-if)#no swi

C3725(config-if)#no switchport

% Incomplete command.

C3725(config-if)#ip address 10.0.8.28 255.255.0.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

When I do a show inventory - I can't see the Etherswitch - whereas before I can:

C3725_NETFLOW#sh inventory

NAME: "3725 chassis", DESCR: "3725 chassis

I was thinking of a hardware failure of the Etherswitch - but when I show its status - its is ok:

Fa1/2 DESC connected 1 a-full a-100 unknown

When I enabled CDP - I can see the directly connected switch to f1/2?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best,

Tony

6 Replies 6

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

do you have "ip routing" command enabled?

Tony

Instead of show inventory I would suggest that you check the output of show version or the output of show diag. I believe that either of these is a better way to verify what hardware is recognized and functional.

Also I believe that your error is in attempting to put an IP address on the FastEthernet1/2 interface. As the error indicates the switch is treating this as a layer 2 only interface. And in contrast to most layer 3 switches which support the no switchport command to enable layer 3 processing on the interface, this kind of Etherswitch does not support it. What it does support are SVIs (interface vlan n). So put the FastEthernet1/2 interface into a different VLAN, configure the VLAN interface for that VLAN, and configure the IP address on that VLAN interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the error message shows, NM-16ESW is a Layer 2-only switch. The only port you can configure an IP Address would have to be the VLAN interface. I think you need the NME-16ES-1G.

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Tony,

You almost have it, the command is...

no switchport fa1/7

This will configure NM-16ESW in NM slot 1 interface #7 to a L3 port. Once this is done you can assign an IP address to the interface.

Cheers,

Sam

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sam,

+5. You caught me there ... :)

It could depend on the IOS installed, I'm running 12.4-19 advent on a 2620XM that this does work on. The original poster didn't say what IOS image was on the machine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: