PVC2300 - Alternative to Motion Detection Event / FTP Upload

Unanswered Question
May 23rd, 2009
User Badges:

Hi Cisco Community,

My apologies if I am not posting this in the correct section / allowed to post here.

I've got a PVC2300 mounted inside a pelco enclosure that is positioned 6 meters high. Sometimes the motion detection event doesn't work to well (this is due to the fact that its in an enclosure and pointed out towards the ocean at a beach location).

Also the motion detection event is pretty much useless at night without surrounding illumination.

In Australia we also have severe lack of broadband speed and also download allowance, therefore it is not practical to broadcast streaming video (we would get charged excessive fees for exceeding download quotas and only one person could view the camera at any one time).

I've written a custom windows service that reads the PVC2300's MJPEG stream over http at a specified interval and saves a single .JPG file in which the windows service uploads the .JPG file to a specified website. This means that you will always get an updated image from the camera every 5 minutes, rather than based on motion detection. It would have been nice if cisco / linksys implemented this within the camera's firmware (maybe in a future version?).

Anyway, communities share things with each other, so i've made the software freely available to anyone who wishes to use it. I would appreciate any feedback from Cisco / Linksys.

http://www.airbiscuit.com.au/pvc2300-service.html - PVC2300 Windows Service

http://www.airbiscuit.com.au/camera.aspx - The actual PVC2300 in operation

Regards,

David Zielinski

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Mon, 05/25/2009 - 10:34
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

You came to the right place and thats a very cool post IMO.

First, thanks for using Cisco Small Business products and you can look forward enhancements and options in our line, of course.  I think I noticed your other post mentioning you are in Australia?  We have a few really top BU folks (TMEs and Biz Dev) down under and they are very active in the BU solutions area for Small Business.   Do you know Leah Davis and Dave Harper (they are Participants on this community as well)? 

In any event, I think compressed streaming is a very valid design idea and we are actually looking at similar partners in the US experimenting with the same.  In one Partners case he has a lightweight application (java) that runs on your mobile and allows all the mobile streams to come compressed from a server farm.

Typical use case is a Day Care where 15 parents want to watch the same camera, and the compression benefit becomes crucial in scale.   But your case is a financial one (therefore good too) where you would have to pay for streaming video. 

While we dont offer this today (the external managed service that is), I am sure you have played with the camera GUI and realize you can try some of the following to reduce bandwidth

1- lower quality of video (resolution, FPS, illuminate Audio, etc)

2- reduce motion detection size (seconds)

3- Purchase a local NSS2100 or NSS3x00 to store High Quality video on the LAN and only alert for motion via email (not realy friendly for remote monitoring I admit).

For sensitivity in an enclosure, have you played with Sensitivity settings thresholds in the Camera GUI under motion detection?

For night illumination without an external IR Illuminator, have you tried the 'night schedule', which activates (or deactivates) the IR Cut Filter?

For the periodic updates, I'll let Davin Oishi comment as he is about ready to announce the PVC300 and I know it offers a browser based periodic refresh and I am not sure how far he has extended that to an API for external access.....

Thanks for your post

Steve DiStefano

Systems Engineer in the US field channel

RTP, N.C.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content