remote access for users

Unanswered Question
May 24th, 2009
User Badges:

We have a client with a Cisco 871 router and we want to setup users with the ability to use the Cisco VPN client software and conenct to the office 871 router to gain access to resources behind the 871.

Could someone please give me a few tips or steaps on how to go about achieving this.

I have recently completed CCNA study + exam but CCNA did not coover the setup of VPN for remote access.

Thanks,

JV

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

A good place to start is the URL below. You can substitute a Windows IAS or Local authentication for the ACS server to do XAUTH if necessary. This is basically the user/pass required as you are connecting.

Also, I must warn you that Cisco has taken a pretty hard line approach against supporting 64bit Windows operating systems with the traditional vpn client. So all of the over the counter PC's with 4gb of ram and Vista 64 will not work with this client and require a completely different approach called Anyconnect (basically a SSL/DTLS VPN Client). Anyconnect actually loses a factor of authentication (the psk) if you deploy it without mutual certificates. With mutual certificates, it is more cumbersome than the traditional vpn client to deploy. So from a security perspective, the traditional vpn is better in many smaller deployments (IMHO of course).

Link to configuration of traditional VPN client on ISR.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949ba.shtml

Actions

This Discussion