cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber type G652 fibre vs G655 fibre

Amlenduk1
Level 1
Level 1

Folks we are building a new fiber network. As this is a greenfield installation we have the choice of getting the appropriate fiber in place rather then to use a type of fiber for historical reasons. This means we can plan for best type of fiber. The question is which fiber is suited for DWDM i.e. G652 or G655 and why. T.I.A.

3 Replies 3

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The link below provides a comparison of the two fiber types.

<http://www.sterliteoptical.com/pdf/Knowledgecenter/Mixing%20of%20G655%20and%20G652%20Optical%20Fibers.pdf>

Both fiber types can support DWDM. G652 has higher chromatic dispersion than G655; enabling G655 to go longer distances without dispersion compensating fiber.

I good recommendation is to speak with the fiber suppliers, Corning, OFS, Fujikura, etc, and discuss with them your network plans, including span lengths, bandwidth plans, etc.. They can be a wealth of information.

Good luck!

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

decision to select right fiber will depend upon few things like

1. what speed you want to mulitplex over DWDM 1G, 2.5G, 10G....or 100G when available

2. Distance between your building/s

As mentioned in other post 655 is better for dispersion but that advantage you will see either at higher speed or long distances.

If 652 is cheaper and speed / distance are not too much, 652 can be the choice.

personal opinion:

if you:

1. do not have ultra optic segment for example 200~300km or +, which you have to think about OSNR degrading seriously.

2. have lots of cwdm traffic.

g652 is prefered.

if you:

3. contra of 1.

4. have enthusiasm foucs on new tech for example 40G or waves more than 192.

5. find your supplier give you a price which has not large difference between 655 & 652.

g655 is prefered

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco