jaipalnair
Level 1
Level 1

No layer 2 VLAN appear on Cisco packet tracer 5.0 switch C3560PS

14 Replies 14

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

Where do you find a 3560 in PT? I used PT extensively in class...and I have never seen a 3560. A bit more info on your original issue would help also...or attach your .pka file and I'll look at at it.

Let me know

Hello, I am using PT 5.0 and I can see C3560 switch. Please see the attached PT file.

Thanks,

I found the sw you used on PT. I had no issue creating the VLAN. Can you be more descriptive in any error your getting and/or what you are trying to do?

Switch(config)#vlan 10

Switch(config-vlan)#name test

Switch(config-vlan)#ex

Switch(config)#ex

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

Switch#sh vla br

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4

Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8

Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12

Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16

Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20

Fa0/21, Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24

Gig0/1, Gig0/2

10 test active

1002 fddi-default active

1003 token-ring-default active

1004 fddinet-default active

1005 trnet-default active

Switch#

Hello Mate,

I thing you are misunderstood. What I was trying to achive is create L2 VLAN on the switch c3560, and it is not appearing when you type sh run.

Please see the attcahed file (config and PT file). I have configured two switch 1. 2960 and 3560. Run sh run and sh vtp status, then you may understand. On switch 2960 L2 VLAN are displayed and on 3560 L2 VLAN not accepting.

Thanking your patience and let me know your findings.

Regards,

Jaipal

Are you saying that when you create VLANs on the 2960 they show up in the show run, but on the 3560 they do not shbow up in the show run?

I could be wrong here though, I think in L2 switches they show up in the config file, but L3 sw's they do not (even though they are really there). I'll investigate more and get back to you!

Thankyou and will wait for the answer.

Hello Mate,

I thing you are misunderstood. What I was trying to achive is create L2 VLAN on the switch c3560, and it is not appearing when you type sh run.

Please see the attcahed file (config and PT file). I have configured two switch 1. 2960 and 3560. Run sh run and sh vtp status, then you may understand. On switch 2960 L2 VLAN are displayed and on 3560 L2 VLAN not accepting.

Thanking your patience and let me know your findings.

Regards,

Jaipal

I opended the pt file, it shows the same vlans when you sh vla br

Are you talking about the config files and one sw showing vlans in startup-config and the other sw not showing this?

As far as VTP, your switches have no connections to each other, at min you need a truck link to (since vtp works at this layer).

Exactly. My question is why C2960 show the VLAN description on the configuraion and C3560 doesn't eventhough the switches are not trunked. If possible you can make the configuration (with trunk )on the same PT file and send to me.

Thanks,

The only reason that those sw's would show the same VLAN info is

1) They once shared VTP information.

2) You configured both switches with the same information.

I quickly made the 2950 a vtp svr, the 3550 a client, same domain, no password, trunk link setup. Any vlan you add to the 2950 will appear on the 3550.

Thankyou for your response in time. Sorry I could not reply to your mail last day, because of weekend.

I checked your .pkt file and and I am fine with that. The question is still not answered like: on C2950 the VTP mode changes to transpraent all the VLAN and displayed on the config file, while on C3560 switch, eventhoughthe switch are on VTP trasparent mode the VLANs are not displayed!!

Again, a guess here, but I think it is because that while in VTP server or transparent mode the VLAN info is also saved to vlan.dat file but while in client mode, the VLAN info is just saved into NVRAM (running config). I am at my other job now, will test when it slows down. Unless anyone else wants to weigh in...

Update: To heck with my other job, this is more fun.

I searched Cisco site, and the answer can be found http://cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35sa6/eescg/mascvtp.htm

In VTP server mode, VLAN configurations are saved in nonvolatile memory. VTP server is the default mode.

In VTP client mode, VLAN configurations are not saved in nonvolatile memory.

In VTP transparent mode, VLAN configurations are saved in nonvolatile memory, but they are not advertised to other switches.

I think....

Thanks for the help.

The last three statement exactly right as tper the C3560 document inthe section VLANs.

Isaac Otoo
Level 1
Level 1

THANKS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: