cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP registered into WLCs

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have two Wireless LAN Controller version 4.2, and the 1131 access point. The WLC number is called WLC01 and the name of the second WLC is WLC02. In the access points the Primary Controller Name and the Secondary Controller Name are configured as WLC01 and WLC02. The problem is that when the WLC1 (for example) fails the access points are not re-register in the WLC01, these remain registered in the Secondary Controller. To resolve this problem I restart the access point and these are registered in your primary wireless controller.

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ricardo,

The design for redundancy with LWAPP and the WLC's involves the addition of a common Mobility Group. Have a look at this good doc;

WLAN Controller Failover for Lightweight Access Points Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml#c4

Hope this helps!

Rob

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ricardo,

How or what method did you use to configure the Primary and Secondary Controller?

It WILL NOT WORK if you configured the parameters using the HTML/GUI method. Why? Because it's a bug. You can verify this by going using the CLI on the WLC: sh ap config general .

On the 2nd page, look at the entries of the Primary Cisco Switch Name and the Primary Cisco Switch IP Address.

To get this to work, you need BOTH the WLC name and the WLC IP Address. In the HTML/GUI it will only take EITHER the WLC name or the WLC IP Address. So the only way to get this to work in the 4.X.X IOS is to go through CLI (I know how painful it is): config ap primary-base

This bug was finally fixed after the 5.0 IOS.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys, Thx for this. Do we have a bug ID?

Many thx

Ken

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, I did not get/remember the bug ID.

We have one 1 WLC running 5.0.148.0 but still unable to make the PRIMARY/2ndary setting to work. We have configured it but its not running ... Does this version still have the problem ?? Can't find anything in the caveat for this version and the 1 after this....

If you are talking about the "Global" settings, YES. A bug for the 5.0.X exist. Individual APs, NO. They've fixed this.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card