Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA: NAT & Multicast

fedecotofaja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to know if the ASA 5580 (version 8.1) supports NAT for Multicast traffic....

Thank you!!

Federico.

6 Replies 6

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is new feature in 8.2 code.

Pls. refer this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_bulletin_c25-526545.html

• Multicast group Network Address Translation (NAT): Multicast applications include distance learning, telemedicine, and financial applications. The multicast group NAT feature enables the separation of internal multicast streams from external multicast streams for added security.

Thank you very much!

Hello,

We are trying to NAT a multicast group through an ASA 5510 running 8.2.1. We have it in routed mode and the group 224.1.1.8 exists on the inside, and we want it to be 227.1.1.10 on the outside. We can NAT the source, but need the group to be translated. Am I correctly understanding that this is a new feature in 8.2.1? If so, can you provide pointers to working configs?

Thank you

static (outside,inside) 224.1.1.8 227.1.1.10 netmask 255.255.25.255

What that line does is destination NAT. The packets that arrive on the inside interface destined to 224.1.1.8 will be changed ot 227.1.1.10 on the outside

You need to provide source address translation for your source if you need to.

-KS

Is there a feature specification for Multicast group NAT?

I see on your example that one group address is translated to another group address. More specificaly I'm interested on a Multicast group being translated to a unicast address and viceversa?

Sometimes I'm very annoyed by the way Cisco represents the information about a particular topic. The question was asked about NAT and multicast and the answer is absolutely perfunctory and non-relevant. People asking the question of NAT support of multicast on ASA don't need to know what applications use multicast. Moreover, there's no Cisco guide shedding any word how to configure NAT for multicast. Any documentation about multicast support for ASA software just doesn't mention it. Why does Cisco representative points to the generic article that doesn't bear any technical information other then product bulletin ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card