cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ids 4200 syslog

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

Customer doesn't want to use MARS. Any recommendations on decent syslog server?

thx again

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would place it behind the firewall's outside interface. But this all depends on your security policy and how your network is setup.

Another factor is your IPS device's throughput. Can it sustain the load from the internal LAN? If so you can also place it behind the PIX firewall. This will give you protectional for both internal an external threats.

I would setup the IPS in inline interface pair mode.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps4077/products_configuration_example09186a00809c37cb.shtml

Please rate if helpful.

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The IPS sensor does not support syslog. It can only send SNMP traps to remote destinations. A good tool to store IPS sensor events is Cisco IME, and its free! Have a look at:

www.cisco.com/go/ime

Regards

Farrukh

you are a peach...thx

No problem, I'm glad you find the link useful :)

Regards

Farrukh

one more question. Simple network with PIX outside and inside network. I was just looking at how these things go together. Customer wants ids mode. I assume you span ports to make it work? Also, placement better to have it on the internet side or the inside? thx again

I would place it behind the firewall's outside interface. But this all depends on your security policy and how your network is setup.

Another factor is your IPS device's throughput. Can it sustain the load from the internal LAN? If so you can also place it behind the PIX firewall. This will give you protectional for both internal an external threats.

I would setup the IPS in inline interface pair mode.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps4077/products_configuration_example09186a00809c37cb.shtml

Please rate if helpful.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: