voice rtp send-recv command

Answered Question
May 26th, 2009

Can someone elaborate on the value of the voice rtp send-recv command? According to Cisco;

To establish a two-way voice path when the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) channel is opened, use the voice rtp send-recv command in global configuration mode.

Sounds like a "two-way voice path" is pretty much a given for VoIP, no?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Jaime Valencia about 4 years 10 months ago

yes, this is used in the GWs because that's where you open the channels, switches only route the RTP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Average Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Tue, 05/26/2009 - 09:04

not really, you can have a situation where you only have a 1 way path to listen to announcements, it's usually used to fix 1-way audio issues when they're not supposed to happen intentionally

Also helps on DTMF issues

User experiences one-way audio and cannot pass DTMF digits when calling into an IVR

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/voice/showcase?case=K17950966

If you search at the TAC Case Collections for the command you'll find plenty of hits

HTH

java

shikamarunara Tue, 05/26/2009 - 09:24

java,

This is a gateway command, not usually something that's put on switches, no?

Correct Answer
Jaime Valencia Tue, 05/26/2009 - 09:36

yes, this is used in the GWs because that's where you open the channels, switches only route the RTP

HTH

java

Nicholas Matthews Tue, 05/26/2009 - 16:37

This command is actually very overused. It was originally implemented as a workaround for a bug in early voice code. Since then, this command really shouldn't be doing much since the bug has been fixed since 12.2T code or so.

It made its way into some documents and now it's everywhere.

I've never solved a single problem with this command. I was able to make one thing come closer to working, but that ended up being a provider problem :)

-nick

matthew.hall@ad... Sat, 05/05/2012 - 17:50

This is an old thread, but I wanted to comment.  Although it is over used, I solved a problem just in the last 6 months with this command.  We had a situation with an h323 gateway using PRIs where all calls were completing normally accept calls to the 911 PSAP.  911 Calls where getting a one way audio situation where we could hear the PSAP but they could not hear us.  Debuggin ISDN Q931 showed that we were never receiving the "connect" message from the far end, so audio was never getting cut through.  We had to use the rtp send-recv command to cut through audio in order to get 911 calls working.

So my advice is not to use it unless you have to, but keep it in your back pocket.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM
Stats:
Replies:5 Avg. Rating:5
Views:6538 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard

Rank Username Points
1 21,026