cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The use of portchannels in VoIP

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I am working on an access switch that has two gig ports configured as a single port channel going back to the core. In my mind, I would think that the implications of this set up would be the same as configuring VoIP packets to go accross a bonded T1 circuit without the benefit of interleaving. In my experience, if interleaving is not used on a bonded T1 circuit the audio quality suffers greatly as packets arrive out of order across the multiple circuits and are consequently dropped. Should this not happen with port channels as well?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

With etherchannel, nothing guarantees that links will be used equally.

Seems like you put in doubt the ability of etherchannel designers to prevent out of order arrival.

Educate yourself at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since ether-channel works at L2 level, packets are never sent out of order.

Depending on your application, you may find that one only or both ports are used for VoIP.

L2 data, or frames, are never sent out of order? At layer 2, transmissions are still considered to be unreliable, how can it be said that they "are never sent out of order"?

etherchannel doesn't care abut reliable or unreliable.

As indicated above, the port to use is chosen based on MAC addresses, consequently packets pertaining to flows between same devices, are always sent on the same port, and never out of order.

MAC being associated with a port-channel makes sense, but if you have multiple links configured for a single etherchannel and the links are used equally, how can you say that frames can not arrive out of order? Do you have documentation to back this up?

With etherchannel, nothing guarantees that links will be used equally.

Seems like you put in doubt the ability of etherchannel designers to prevent out of order arrival.

Educate yourself at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

This is what I was originally looking for, but your first post was misleading. This answers my question, thanks.

|Removed post as p.bevilacqua has already answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: