Views
Helpful
Replies

Use the variable for the IP address of IOS router

zheka_pefti
Level 2
Level 2

Hi gurus!

I would appreciate if anyone can give me an advice for configuring the variable for the IP address of a particular router interface. All this is about

the router being a DHCP client which receives a new IP address every

now and then and using something like "$ETH0/0_IPADDR" instead of "ANY" in the access-list. As you know there's a way to use a variable with banner or hostname. Is there any way to do with the IP address?

Eugene

4 Replies 4

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming you don't want to settle for a limited "variable" through an ACL wildcard mask based on knowing the IP addr range assigned by DHCP, I think the EEM applet or script discussed in the following thread can conceivably be adapted to dynamically reconfigure the ACL accordingly:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&topicID=.ee71a02&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd2a971

I'm not sure what can serve as the trigger for EEM though, unless there's SNMP or syslog message generated when the int ip addr changes.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I actually did an EEM policy for this exact problem. What version of IOS are you using?

about 80 routers run IOS 12.4(22T) and EEM is something new for me. Thanks a lot for refering to it. I will have to spend some time to get to know it.

Given that you have EEM 3.0, you could use the following programmatic applet:

event manager applet update-acl

event tag none

event tag syslog pattern "LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN:.*Interface FastEthernet0/0.*changed state to up"

event tag timer timer watchdog time 86400

trigger occurs 1 delay 3

correlate event syslog or event none or event timer

action 010 cli command "enable"

action 020 cli command "show ip int brief | include FastEthernet0/0"

action 030 regexp "^FastEthernet0/0\s+([0-9\.]+)" "$_cli_result" ignore ipaddr

action 040 cli command "config t"

action 050 cli command "no access-list 113"

action 060 cli command "access-list 113 permit ip any host $ipaddr"

action 070 cli command "end"

action 080 syslog msg "New IP address is $ipaddr"

Here, you'll want to replace FastEthernet0/0 with your interface name. This policy will run every 24 hours, every time the device reloads, or every time you run the command "event manager run update-acl". You can, of course, adjust any of the tags and trigger correlation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: