Why IP based Cameras vs. Analog Cameras encoded/converted over IP?

Unanswered Question
May 26th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Team,

I have a customer that I’m currently involved with that is defending analog cameras converted over IP against IP cameras which is what we are trying to sell.

Here are the main points that the customer used to defend hybrid Video Surveillance system over full IP Video Surveillance:

1.       Hybrid system is cheaper.

2.       Conventional cameras are higher quality than IP cameras and cheaper.

3.       IP cameras won’t be able to handle heat and humidity for outdoors and some indoors areas.

4.       Most of the casings are designed to satisfy conventional cameras cabling. If he puts IP camera in this casing, where to output the power or CAT6  cables. There is no specific sealed output and casing for such cabling.

5.       There is no difference between the two systems once the signals, images, gets converted from the cameras with the encoder over IP network.

I thought to run this by the experts as my goal is to have enough compiled inputs on each of the above points.

So, your Input/Information/Collateral that you can share is highly appreciated.

Thank You,

Hassan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Fri, 05/29/2009 - 14:28
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

While this is a generic answer, we have all dedicated alot of time into this as well as some new Smart Designs that will be available really soon that I hope can answer your queries....

Learn more about how IPVideo Surveillance and Storage can address SMB customer needs with this new quick learning module.

IP Video Surveillance and Storage Quick Learning Module

This course will explore the Cisco IP video surveillance and storage solutions that address the needs of Small Businesses. There are two modules in this course, one addressing storage, and one covering surveillance. Together this training will help Account Managers and Engineers understand how these solutions meet Small Business needs as well as how best to position and offer them to customers.  

Upon completing this training, the student will be able to:
-Understand why IP video surveillance and network Storage are both critical to the Small Business
-Be familiar with the value proposition and sales drivers
-Identify the features and functions of these solutions
-Understand applicable use cases
-Identify target customers
-Understand various technical considerations associated with each solution

Who should attend: All those involved in the selling and support / configuration of IP Video Surveillance and Storage solutions for SMB customers.

Prerequisites: None

To access this web based training, click
here: (You will need to login to the PEC)

This training is available in English only, stay  tuned for additional languages coming soon.

Actions

This Discussion