cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load-Balancing between 2 idsm in single chassis inline mode

sushilmenon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all i am trying to figure out the load-balancing between 2 idsm2 modules in the same chassis.

this is the config i am trying to do

router(config)# intrusion-detection module 6 data-port 1 port-channel 5 (idsm1)

router(config)# intrusion-detection module 6 data-port 2 port-channel 6 (idsm1)

router(config)# intrusion-detection module 7 data-port 1 port-channel 5 (idsm2)

router(config)# intrusion-detection module 7 data-port 2 port-channel 6 (idsm2)

is this right. i am bundling data-port1 of idsm1 and data-port 1 of idsm2 in a single channel.

or should it be like data-port 1 and data-port 2 of idsm1 in a single channel.

can someone please clear out my confusion.

Regards

Sushil

1 Reply 1

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is your intended deployment?

If promiscuous, then all 4 interfaces could be in a single etherchannel and the etherchannel set as the vacl capture port.

The traffic would be balanced across all 4 ports.

(Note: Technically you could do the same with 2 ports of the same IDSM-2, or 2 ports with 1 port from each IDSM-2. But the 4 ports together is what I would recommend)

If inline vlan pairs, then again all 4 interfaces could be in a single etherchannel and the etherchannel set as a trunk port of multiple vlans.

(Note: Technically you could do the same with 2 ports of the same IDSM-2, or 2 ports with 1 port from each IDSM-2. But the 4 ports together is what I would recommend)

If inline interface pairs, then your setting is correct with 2 etherchannels and one port from each IDSM-2 in each of the 2 etherchannels. Each etherchannel would then be made an access port.

So you will see that it depends on how you are going to eventually configure your etherchannels that will determine what ports you need to channel together.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card