Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Primary delay returning to active

tajennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have several FWSM in 2 6500 chassis and a few days ago the primary FWSM rebooted itself for unknown reasons and the secondary FWSM took over as planned.

But the primary FWSM has, after several days, switched back over to active automatically.

Question is, does anyone know why there would be such a long delay for the primary to request active mode?

3 Replies 3

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no preemption support in Cisco FWSM (Or ASA/PIX for that matter) in Active/Passive mode. The primary most probably took over because something won't down on the 'Secondary (Active)' unit e.g. a monitored interface, triggering the failover. Check the output of the 'show failover history' command to see what exactly caused the failover.

In multiple context mode (Active/Active) you can configure pre-emption on a per context basis.

Please rate if helpful.

Regards

Farrukh

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. This is the log output when the primary decided to take over as active:-

May 27 14:22:41 10.10.0.18 %FWSM-1-104002: (Secondary) Switching to STNDBY - Other unit want me Standby

May 27 14:22:41 10.10.0.18 %FWSM-1-104001: (Primary) Switching to ACTIVE - Set by the CI config cmd

Here is the failover history from the standby unit. It did not reboot like the primary did a few days ago.

Not Detected Negotiation No Error

Negotiation Cold Standby Detected an Active mate

Cold Standby Sync Config Detected an Active mate

Sync Config Sync File System Detected an Active mate

Sync File System Bulk Sync Detected an Active mate

Bulk Sync Standby Ready Detected an Active mate

Standby Ready Just Active Other unit want me Active

Just Active Active Drain Other unit want me Active

Active Drain Active Applying Config Other unit want me Active

Active Applying Config Active Config Applied Other unit want me Active

Active Config Applied Active Other unit want me Active

Active Standby Ready Set by the CI config cmd

Standby Ready Just Active HELLO not heard from mate

Just Active Active Drain HELLO not heard from mate

Active Drain Active Applying Config HELLO not heard from mate

Active Applying Config Active Config Applied HELLO not heard from mate

Active Config Applied Active HELLO not heard from mate

Active Standby Ready Other unit want me Standby

Cheers,

- Trevor

It seems the last failover was caused by someone issuing the 'failover active' command on the standby unit, or the 'no failover active' on the primary one, was that done by you?

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: