cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max ephone-dns in general, then for extension mobility

stacy.thompson
Level 3
Level 3

What is the maximum number of ephone-dn's that I can create for an 8u,16,24u,and 32u... I was not able to find a spec/tech sheet with a matrix.

Then, what is the max number of voice user profiles for the extension mobility feature(s) ?

How do those two overlap if at all ?

We're setting up a 24U and will probably have 10-15 extension mobility users...

Thank you !

Stacy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stacy,

The user count in the UC500 is not straightforward, and there is no way to pretty up that statement. It is what it is. No wonder why you chose that Avatar!!

We are here to help you and hopefully clarify the confusion. You need to keep in mind these basic rules:

1) The UC500 User SKU (8, 16, 24, etc.) determines how many phones can be configured on the system AND REGISTERED TO IT.

2) You get an extra few licenses for the FXS and remote teleworkers. You can use these any way you want. So for example, in the 8U unit, you can actually have 14 phone slots.

3) CCA synchronizes your CME user and your CUE user, making them the same in terms of credentials. In the underlying CLI, they are still separate.

4) You can have as many CUE users as you want, but only some may have a voicemail box. Per the EULA, an 8U UC500 can have up to 10 individual mailboxes, for example. That's what the EULA states and that is the maximum we support, but if you notice, we have been including a 50 mailbox license with the CUE software. You can have more mailboxes, we do not penalize you. We just won't support you.

5) Extension mobility users configured on the voice profiles are independent from the UC500 users. They are needed for authentication only, in order to install that profile on the phone. I answered earlier what the maximum EM user count was. You can have hundreds, so this satisfies most (if not all) of the EM deployment scenarios. However, you cannot have more active users than actual IP phones on your system. Remember that registered phone slots are controlled by the UC500 license.

Hopefully this helps.

Marcos

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Part 1 answer:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1424#How_many_IP_Phones_can_I_register_to_the_system_How_many_of_these_can_be_SoftPhones_

What is the maximum number of Directory Numbers (DN) in the UC500?

The numbers are:

8-user UC500 :  56 DN's
16-user UC500 : 88 DN's
24-user UC500 : 128 DN's
32-user UC500 : 160 DN's
48-user UC500 : 224 DN's
64-user UC500: 256 DN's

Part II

http://www.ciscosystems.or.at/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/admin/6_0_1/ccmfeat/fsem.html

You create a default device profile by using the Default Device Profile Configuration window. A phone can have zero or one default device profile. The maximum number of default device profiles cannot exceed the number of phone models that support Cisco Extension Mobility.

Does this look OK to you?

let us know....

Great question...I had to look it up too!!!  :-)

Looks like I will have plenty of dn's !

But I am still a bit confused on the extension mobility piece.

I understand there will be a default device profile ... but I don't understand how it would have 'none'. Wouldn't it just assign any user then to use that MAC address/phone license?  That would be bad if I don't want the same extension on multipel phones.

and is a voice user profile ( user device profile) the same as a 'user' in CUE ( specifically envisioning the GUI for CUE and the user info there).

I'm not sure how to set up our client's 24U box...the user count , license count, voicemail, and ext mobility /device usercounts are confusing me.

Are the users counted the same whether they're tied to a phone and vm box or not? are the users the same whether they are extension mobility users or not?

I feel like I should have the capacity for a ton of users just like I have a ton of ephone-dns.  I am hoping my users don't have the same max.as the license/MAC address/phone count.

On my 24U box (with 28 lic) can I -->

build 14 users tied to phones with vm boxes...

then build 13 conference room phones each with their own default device profiles, no vm boxes...

and then build 10 extension mobility users/voice user/device profiles with vm boxes that will log in to the 13 conf room/extension mobility phones ?

My count:

28 user lic max, using 27 for phones.

28 user mailbox max, using 24 for vm users.

unknown ##?? users max, using 37.   or is there a designation between users and ext mobility device users with two separate maximums ?

Stacy

Stacy,

The user count in the UC500 is not straightforward, and there is no way to pretty up that statement. It is what it is. No wonder why you chose that Avatar!!

We are here to help you and hopefully clarify the confusion. You need to keep in mind these basic rules:

1) The UC500 User SKU (8, 16, 24, etc.) determines how many phones can be configured on the system AND REGISTERED TO IT.

2) You get an extra few licenses for the FXS and remote teleworkers. You can use these any way you want. So for example, in the 8U unit, you can actually have 14 phone slots.

3) CCA synchronizes your CME user and your CUE user, making them the same in terms of credentials. In the underlying CLI, they are still separate.

4) You can have as many CUE users as you want, but only some may have a voicemail box. Per the EULA, an 8U UC500 can have up to 10 individual mailboxes, for example. That's what the EULA states and that is the maximum we support, but if you notice, we have been including a 50 mailbox license with the CUE software. You can have more mailboxes, we do not penalize you. We just won't support you.

5) Extension mobility users configured on the voice profiles are independent from the UC500 users. They are needed for authentication only, in order to install that profile on the phone. I answered earlier what the maximum EM user count was. You can have hundreds, so this satisfies most (if not all) of the EM deployment scenarios. However, you cannot have more active users than actual IP phones on your system. Remember that registered phone slots are controlled by the UC500 license.

Hopefully this helps.

Marcos

I have a follow-up question on the subject.

A client has a UC520-8U with a temporary 16U upgrade license as a loaner until there ordered 24U arrives (10+ weeks delivery time, ordered in february). The temporary license is about to expire and where not certain that the new UC520 is going to arrive in time. The question is now if we can use the loaner and buy a license as a permanent solution to avoid downtime. The client has 6 x 7940, 5 ATA-186 boxes with 2 analog phones per box and all 4 fxs ports filled. (2 of the ATA boxes are not in use currently).

1. How do I see how many licenses that is currently used?

2. How many users/phones are supported on a 16U license?

Best regards

Markus

stacy.thompson
Level 3
Level 3

Marcos,

Thank you so much for the info- it really does help...and yes my avatar was specifically selected as it reflects how I feel when figuring out Cisco's line of thinking ;)

Is there a plan in the future to support the addt'l mailboxes? Seems silly to give us the ability/capacity, but not support us. I'm not even sure what would make it an unsupported scenario?  If I call TAC for assistance in regards to the voicemail , they won't support me at all?  If I call TAC for assistance in regards to dial peers, etc then they will?

Thanks,

Stacy

The EULA specifies a maximum number of mailboxes for each UC500 user SKU, and that is what TAC supports. If you had questions or problems with more than that, theoretically, they would not accept a service request. It sounds inconsistent, but unfortunately, we can only test a limited number of configuration permutations, and that is what our TAC will support.

Thanks,

Marcos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: