cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMPS database

EdmondsHOF
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please explain to me how you go about using the VMPS. I read it's a server, a database, and it seems maybe something else as well. Where is it stored (switch, server, etc?) and how do you go about accessing it. Thanks,

J.D.

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You will find that VMPS may not work on newer hardware as it has been succeeded by 802.1x.

if yo'ure into OSS , you can try this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmps

a.whiting
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Further to earlier replies, whilst its true that dot1x has largely replaced VMPS due to its enhanced security profile, VMPS works very well for closed networks and the client is still included in IOS switches. You may or may not have a CatOS platform to act as a server but the OSS vmps daemon runs fine under Linux and Windows. For example, I use it in a dual-boot classroom environment where the workstations are placed in different VLANs depending on their boot profile; the MACs in one of the profiles are spoofed, of course (using e.g. SMAC), and referenced in the config file.

Regards,

AndyW.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card