cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NME-WAE-502-K9 module replacement procedure in a 3845 router

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Not sure which topic to post this question so posting in LAN routing and switching topic:

=========================================

Two questions:

==============

Q1: Are these NME-WAE-502-K9 hot-swappable in Cisco 3845 routers?

Q2: One of my customers has several hundred 3845 routers with a NME-WAE-502-K9 module in each 3845 router.

Customer's requirement is when one of these NME-WAE-502-K9 fails at a remote site, our field engineer should replace the module and also upgrade the module to run image WAAS-4.1.3.55-K9.bin because customer will take ages to upgrade to this image which is over 400 MBytes, using a 512 Kbps/sec DSL line to this remote site.

I have some idea on how our field engineer can upgrade this module if a new NME-WAE-502-K9 is installed in a lab 3845 router by following the steps below:

Login to 3845 and go to enable mode:

=========================================

conf t

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

!FTP server is on 10.1.1.2 with its default gateway being 10.1.1.1

interface Integrated-Service-Engine0/0

ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0

service-module ip address 10.1.2.2 255.255.255.0

service-module ip default-gateway 10.1.2.1

no keepalive

no shutdown

end

=======================================

Then telnet 10.1.2.2

Default credentials for new module

===================================

username is: admin

password is: default

copy ftp install <ftp-server-ip> / WAAS-4.1.1c.16-K9.bin

But if it is a production 3845 router with TACACS configured, when the field engineer telnet's to 10.1.2.2 ( NME-WAE-502-K9 module ) will TACACS ask for authentication even though the module is a new module.

I am not 100% sure on how the router hosts this module and the internal connections and how to maintain this unit to meet customer's requirement.

Any help and pointers to links appreciated.

BAsically I am looking for an answer on the R & R ( removal and replacement ) procedure of the NME-WAE-502-K9 module in a production 3845 router.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't want to send the 400mb file over the DSL link, put it into a USB flash and include it with kit to take along to swap out the NME.

NME is not hot-swappable.

Leo,

I am new to the integration of the NME-WAE-502-K9 module with the router.

If I send the image in USB flash, do I ask the field engineer to stick in that USB flash on the NME-WAE-502-K9 module USB slot and ask the customer to copy it to the Hard Disk on the NME-WAE-502-K9 module

or

do I stick in that USB flash into the USB slot of the 3845 router and ask customer to copy it to the NME-WAE-502-K9 module Hard Disk.

Also if you could point me to any documentation on how I can transfer the image from the USB flash to the NME-WAE-502-K9 module, that would be great.

I would prefer that rather than FTP from an FTP Server as I had indicated before.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you stick the file into the USB, the field engineer can stick it into one of two USB slots of the 3845 router. He then installs the NME module and you can copy the files from the USB to the NME module faster and easier.

This is the same method I use to upgrade the bootstrap and IOS of routers, switches and WLC.

Hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also if you could point me to any documentation on how I can transfer the image from the USB flash to the NME-WAE-502-K9 module, that would be great.

Plug the USB to the router. Go into configure mode of the router and use the command "tftp-server usbflash0:", exit out and enter the WAS. Before copying, make sure there is room for the IOS then type the command "copy tftp:/// flash:".

I also noticed that the NME-WAE-502-K9 has a compact flash to store the IOS. This makes things alot easier!

So if you need to swap out a faulty one with a new one, just eject the CF from the faulty unit and swap/insert the CF to the new/replacement unit.

Configuring Cisco WAAS Network Modules for Cisco Access Routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v403/module/configuration/guide/wsnmecfg.html

Does this help?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card