Helpful
Replies

Metroethernet

sandeshpc
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am working in an company, Currently we r

having 1700 series router, on which we have terminated 2 Mbps MPLS VPN on serial port. Now we r planning to upgrade the line to 10 Mbps also the service provider is providing the line on Ethernet as an Metroethernet technology.

My query is can we use the same router and terminate the line on Fast Ethernet or do we need to buy a new router if s kindly suggest the new router.

Thanks

Sandesh

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sandesh,

The router performance sheet indicates the 1700 won't be able to sustain 10Mbps line rate speed.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

You have the option of upgrading to an ISR router - 1800 or above - or get a 3560 switch.

The router will provide extensive QoS and other IOS features while the switch will provide higher throughput at the expense of less features being available.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Besides what Edison has suggested, Cisco also has "Metro" switches, such as the ME 3750. Such switches generally offer full L3 switch performance but are a little feature richer than the "LAN" switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card