cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - Remote Managment

ASTechPCLLC
Level 1
Level 1

So I enabled the remote management on the router. If I test it with the external IP and the port number it works from INSIDE the network, however testing from outside the network it does not work. I am assuming by enabling this I should not have to setup another other rules anywhere else, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any Ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Remote management over HTTP is no longer supported due to security concern. HTTPS is required for remote management with the last few official firmware releases.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

If you do not have custom access rules that could block remote management, you should be able to access the Web Admin Interface by simply enabling Remote Management. 

still not working, I have the default access rules setup, I have managment enabled, if i use the public ip and port from inside the network it works, but when outside, it does not work.

Would you mind posting a few screenshots to show the Firewall, Access Rule, and Setup>Forwarding pages?

Here are the screen shots.

If I backup the settings can i restore them to the router after the firmware upgrade? I do not want to mess up any of the VPN settings and have to reconfigure them.

ok I am a complete moron, I had httpS enabled and was not connecting with the S. Did not know it required to use the S if it was enabled.

Remote management over HTTP is no longer supported due to security concern. HTTPS is required for remote management with the last few official firmware releases.

Thank you, sometimes just talking through the problem opens your eyes :) lol.

>If I backup the settings can i restore them to the router after the firmware upgrade?

The existing configurations on firmware 1.3.12.6-tm are supposed to be carried over onto firmware 1.3.12.19-tm. In case you ever need to downgrade the firmware from -19 to -6, a working configuration exported from firmware 1.3.12.6-tm would save your day.

jamccord
Level 1
Level 1

You many also back up your router configurations.  Verify that you are running the latest version of firmware, currently at 1.3.12.19-tm.   Reset the router back to factory settings and re-establish connectivity to the interent.  From there enable remote access in the firewall tab and change the access port to 8080.  See if you are able to access the router in this simple configuration.  If you are not able to make this connection, please feel free to call the Small Business Support Center.

jamccord
Level 1
Level 1

I am glad you found the solution to your issue.

But to answer your question, Yes, you can back up your configurations and reapply them any time.  I would suggest that you keep a current version of your router config at all times.  The method of resetting the router back to factory and setting it up to only access the internet gives us the ability to make sure the router is working in it's most simple form.  This will establish a baseline of weather the router works or not and from there we can add complexity to your config until it breaks.  Typically, the last thing that changes when the router breaks is the issue.  From there we can diagnose why it breaks and offer suggestions on how to fix it.

Cheers,

jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: