cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing

cdelafuente31
Level 1
Level 1

To provide redundancy, We want to add a second NIC to a server. Each NIC will be connected to a different catalyst 2950 switch. We want to configure load balancing to use both NIC's at the same time.

Because each NIC will be connected to a different switch, I think I cannot configure LACP/NIC teaming. Which other solution can I use to provide load balancing to these NIC's?

Thanks in advance,

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can configure them as ACTIVE/ACTIVE however the switches will complain that the MAC address is flapping (which can cause other problems). That being said you can;

1. Have one ACTIVE and one PASSIVE.

2. LACP two pairs of NIC's, each pair going to different switches and ACTIVE/PASSIVE by the LACP bundle. I don't deal with servers anymore so I'm not sure this 100% capable.

3. Get higher throughput NICs and ACTIVE/PASSIVE

Thank you for the answer Collin, I think the third one is the best option. I will get two 1Gb NIC's (the first one will be active and the other one passive, it will not send packets).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card