cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging with UC520 and Exchange

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

After a lot of trial and error I was able to get my Outlook client  to get IMAP email with message wav file off the CUE system. It does work, but I'd really like an alternative (Like Unity) so I don't have to create a new mailbox on everyone's Outlook.

The documentation does say it's possible to use SMTP to Exchange, but they won't be in sync (notification and deletion), but it doesn't really go into the specifics of the setup. Two questions; is this possible ( and does it work reliably), and is there documentation on how to setup UE to Exchange (03).

Thanks in advance,

Bob

20 Replies 20

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

You are correct, the SMTP will not sync the mailbox.  It isn't hard to configure, and works pretty well.

You can go into the CUE gui, go to System -> SMTP settings.

Configure the SMTP settings there.

Then under Voice Mail -> Message Notification -> Subscriber Notification Management

You need to enable Notification for everyone.  Then, under each user, you need to add email addresses and notification for Email.

Thanks yes that does work but as discussed once listened to Exchange/Outlook doesn't notify CUE and you still have the call waiting indicator.

As far as IMAP (Outlook client), you can move the message, but you still need to setup each client with two mailboxes?

Is there no way to use IMAP on Exchange to pickup the messages for CUE and delivery them to the Exchange clients? (Forgive me I am not a Microsft weenie)

So it looks like there are two options, both with pros and cons, hmmm I guess a bigger question is what happens if I go IMAP and the client wants to get his email and voicemail via his Iphone (or BB) using active-sync or BES, which the best route is....

Bob

I just do SMTP notificatoin as it simplifies the depoyment and management.

- You don't have to touch every outlook client to seutp an IMAP account.

- If you are running roaming profiles, IMAP will not follow you to another machine, so you will have to reconfigure IMAP each time a user moves a machine.

I am with you though, if Cisco is going to call this thing a UC, then it has to integrate with Exchange or Domino.  Only providing SMTP notifications just seems lazy to me.  IMAP has not been an option for any of our clients as they don't want the hassle of two mailboxes.

Oh and doing SMTP notifications allows your Iphone, BB and Windows Mobile devices to work how they always have using Active Sync or Exchange Push since the voicemails are delivered as standard email to their exchange addresses.

Although it doesn't solve the two mailbox issue, editing the existing Exchange profile helps a little bit. More info on:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9688

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

weeksgroove
Level 1
Level 1

IMAP is the only way with the UC500 to integrate email with Voicemail.

You can do the SMTP notificatoin but as you have noticed, when they listen to the WAV file in the email, it doesn't mark the message as read in the VoiceMail system.

Using IMAP, To work around having two mailboxes to check, create an outlook rule that moves messages from your IMAP mailbox to your Exchange Inbox.

Otherwise, if you want full blown Unified Communications, i think you have to purchase Unity.

hth

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry Marcos, that accomplishes the same thing; an IMAP profile within your Outlook.

How does Unity do this?

Unity has a couple different configuration options with regards to Email Integratoin.

This truely "unified" approach uses your existing Exchange Datastore and Mailboxes. It stores all voicemails in the user's mailbox so there is no need for IMAP or SMTP.

You can also run a second exchange store to house Unity data or you can creatre a second mailbox for each user and use that for voicemail storage.  Creating new mailboxes for each user doesn't mean that they have to check two accounts.  Mail from both mailboxes can be checked by the same acocunt using Active Directory and Exhcnage permissions.

I understand that about Unity and know it extends the schema, but what API or account does it use to place email in the Mailstores.

The new version (Linux) doesn't have the same type of integration as the old one ( you can take down Exchange without pooching Untity), so how does it integrate?

I'm just trying to figure out if one could take the UC520  "Unified" component and make it truly a two way conversation.....

Couple of comments:

- UC500 doesn't work with Unity. There are no plans to support this either.

- We are looking at some solutions (via Service Provider engagement) to add Unified messaging with Smart Phones and hosted platforms. Currently, RIM is the focus. However, we have not formally committed this project and there is no estimate on when it could/would be completed.

Thanks,

Marcos

So the UC will never really be "UC" then?  I think this is a poor decision on Cisco's part.

Small Business do host their own email and would love this functionality.

- my two cents.

Marcos, no the question was really how does Unity tie to Exchange (In the enterprise deployments)? I was asking to see if I could develop a "bridge" or something to do the equivalent for the UC500 system. As far as the Smart phones, I am already aware of the great strides Cisco is making in the Enterprise for integration with the BB and iPhone (Apples), it would be nice to see this come down to the SMB market.

Right now we are investigating ALL the capabilties of the UC SMB system so we know what they can and cannot do. As far as the current "Exchange Integration" I can hear the clients now complaining about having to listen to their voicemail twice, so I would like to figure out either a work around for this, or not even offer this as a service.

Can you tell me if this (Real UC to Exchange from the UC520's) is on the roadmap for Cisco?

P.S. I do wish to say that I find you guys, and this forum an incredible resource with excellent support! I wish other vendors and even TAC gave the same level of support! Keep it up.

Hi Bob,

First of all, thanks for the feedback about the Community. Even if sometimes we have to communicate not-so-pleasant information about our products, the fact that you find it useful is another reason for us to improve and keep contributing to it.

Back to your question about "real" Unified Messaging support, you will notice that for the UC500 we make no such claim. We realize the limitations of IMAP and the lack of support for Exchange. We cannot really comment on uncommitted roadmap items, but to fill this gap we will almost certainly be looking at some sort of third party integration and/or possibly a hosted solution. Again, no commitments or estimates, just candid comments from a Technical Marketing guy :-)

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.a

Cisco Unity uses MAPI standard to put/get messages from the Exchange Message Store.

You can find some more info here on this; http://ciscounitytools.com/Documents/UnityArchitectureOverview40(3).doc

If you deploy Unity and have not discovered Ciscounitytools.com, you are in for a real treat....

The problem with Full Unified Messaging as Unity does it, the need to extend AD and use exchange as one msg store.
Many customers object to AD schema changes and VM inpact to single store, plus our Small Biz partners don't have the skill set to do this...you need MCSE.

We are looking at better options other then IMAP to extend voice mail in to the Inbox, Exchange, Domino, and Web based like Yahoo or Gmail would be nice to have. IMAP for Unity Express was pretty easy to deploy and had not real dependency on client except IMAP4 support. Other methods besides POP3, which Unity Express also supports, in general require some type of client add on. As Marco's said, mobility phone support is high on our priority list for roadmap also.

If you have some ideas on the integration, please feel free to reach out to me, ronlewis@cisco.com.

Appeciate your input

Ron Lewis
Manager, Product Marketing
Small Business Solutions--
ronlewis@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: