Helpful
Replies

Devices missing from CS

ngholmieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi-

We are running LMS2.6.

I noticed that there are missing devices in the device listing in the Device center and all other listing on other pages. If i type the device name or IP address, the Device Center is able to find it. but I cannot find it in the device tree.

It occurred to me that it might be in RME but not in CS, so i looked in RME devices and found it under the RME tree.

I could not add it in Common Services because i got the message that the device already exists. so i removed it from RME, and tried adding it again in CS, I got the same message that the device already exists. However now, the device is no longer in the RME device tree either, and i cannot find it anywhere!

Is there a way to synchronize the databases between CS and RME and clean up the device database records? I am sure that there are more than 1 devices in that state. How can i sort this mess?

Thank!

Nathalie~

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All devices must be in Common Services DCR before they can be in any other application. Is LMS integrated with ACS?

No LMS is not integrated with ACS yet. I am planning on doing that soon though.

I have upgraded LMS from 2.5.1 to 2.6 recently. Do you think that had anything to do with the devices gone missing?

Doubtful. If you've re-added a device back to DCR, go to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices, and click the Add button. Does the device appear there?

I am unable to add it in common services > Device Management. I get that the name already exists. I go to RME devices, click the add button: the device is not there either.

if i type the IP in the device center, only the device type, device IP and the CDP neighbors are listed for this device.

No configuration or inventory information.

I cannot find the device in device management to delete it and recreate a new record for it.

If you see CDP neighbors for this device in Device Center that means it's in DCR and managed by Campus Manager. If there is no configuration or inventory data, then the device is not managed by RME. This kind of problem is almost always a symptom of problematic ACS integration. If this server is really not integrated with ACS (and you see nothing under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Reports > Devices not in ACS), then your DCR is most likely corrupt. That is, there are entries in some CS database tables, but not others. This can be confirmed if you open a TAC service request. If this is the case, the most likely outcome will be either a reinitialization of the Common Services database, or a restore from a known good backup.

This server is not integrated in ACS and never had been.

I suspect that you may be right about the database corruption.

I found a temporary workaround for this problem by renaming the device from the device center, then adding a clean record for it.

I'll look more into restoring an older backup, and open a TAC case.

Thank you very much for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: