cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading 7.01 to 7.01SU1, can do multiple subs at same time?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have my Publisher upgraded, my subscriber is upgrading now... can I start my Subscriber #2 right now or do I need to wait until the 1st sub is done? Im not worried about production because this is the lab. Trying shave off an hour or so of upgrading time.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey TCat,

This is most possible :)

During the upgrade of the first node, view the installation log, install_log_.log, using the

Software Installation/Upgrade window in Cisco Unified Communications Operating System

Administration or the command line interface (CLI). You can begin the upgrade of the subsequent nodes

once the following information displays in the log.

PRODUCT_TARGET is

PRODUCT_NAME is

PRODUCT_VERSION is

Caution If you want to upgrade the subsequent nodes in parallel with the first node, do not choose the Reboot to

upgraded partition on either first node or subsequent nodes while configuring the upgrade options. If

selected, the first node may complete its upgrade and reboot while the subsequent nodes are upgrading,

causing the upgrade of the subsequent nodes to fail.

You probably know all about this enhancement as well Tommer, but for others here, this really speeds things up as well :)

Special Upgrade Information

This section describes how I/O throttling affects the upgrade process, identifies possible causes of slow

or stalled upgrades, and provides actions you can take to speed up the upgrade.

I/O throttling Overview

I/O throttling prevents call processing degradation during the upgrade but may cause the upgrade to take

longer. I/O throttling gets enabled by default and is necessary, if you perform the upgrade during normal

business hours. Be aware that the higher the call processing load on the system during the upgrade, the

longer the upgrade takes.

Disabling I/O throttling

If you can perform the upgrade during a maintenance window, you can disable I/O throttling to decrease

the time that it takes for the upgrade to complete.

To disable I/O throttling, use one of the following methods before you start the upgrade:

Note When you first upgrade to Release 7.0(2a), you must use the CLI command utils iothrottle disable if

you want to disable I/O throttling. For subsequent upgrades from release 7.0(2a), you can disable I/O

throttling by checking the check box described in this section.

• To disable I/O throttling in Cisco Unified Operating System Administration, choose Software

Upgrades > Install/Upgrade, and check the Disable I/O throttling check box.

• To disable I/O throttling from the command line interface (CLI) use the utils iothrottle disable

command.

Note If call traffic exists on the system with I/O throttling disabled, the system may become overloaded and

deny new calls. In the worst case, the Cisco CallManager service might restart; however, existing calls

get preserved if the Cisco CallManager service restarts.

Note If you want to reenable I/O throttling after you start the upgrade, you must cancel the upgrade, reenable

I/O throttling, and then restart the upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_0_2/cucm-rel_notes-702a.pdf

Hope this helps!

Huff