Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bought a Cisco Kit

It came with a db9, I don't have a db9 port.

How else can I get into the console?

A rollover won't work.

I don't know the hostname of the router, I assume it was factory default?

The person I bought the kit off wasn't nice enough to tell me the settings.

Really wanna start working on my ccna.

thanks

Devlin

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No DB9 port? Get a USB-DB9 converter. It's readily available.

You can start by telling us what model of a router you've got and hopefully we can point to to the right direction on how to do password recovery.

my question here is....

Can i get hooked up to my router with a ethernet cable? or a ethernet usb adaptor?

Errrr ... you need to be specific here.

To configure the router, the easiest way is to use the (DB-9) console cable. However, if you know what is the configuration of your router, you can connect using ethernet and telnet your way in.

I don't have a db9. I have a rollover and crossover cable. What are my options? (I have a usb ethernet adaptor, and I have a regular ethernet port on my computer.)

thanks

devlin

Devlin

Perhaps we need to clarify some terminology. To connect to the console of the router you need something that will provide a serial/com port capability on your computer that will connect to the console of the router. When I got a new laptop that did not have the serial/com/db9 port I got an adaptor (USB on one end and 9 pin on the other end - mine is from Keyspan and I have been happy with it). I am not aware of any way to connect from a PC Ethernet to the router console.

Depending on what the person had done with the router before they sold it to you, you might be able to connect to the router without the console connection. If you connect your PC Ethernet to the router Ethernet (a cross over cable for this connection) and if the router is configured to supply DHCP on the interface, then you could get an IP address and could telnet to the router.

But to telnet you need passwords. And if you do not have passwords then you need to do password recovery. And to do password recovery you need console access.

So bottom line is that you need to find some way to get console access for this router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Okay I'm sorry let me try rephrasing my question.

"Is there a way to gain console access to a 2500 router WITHOUT a db9 connection.(ethernet to ethernet, usb to ethernet etc)"

Thank you,

Devlin

Devlin

As I tried to say before we need to clarify the terms that we use. By definition the access to the console port on an IOS router is for async serial connections. There is not a way to use Ethernet on your PC to connect to the console port of the router.

As I explained, it may be possible to connect from the Ethernet of your PC to the Ethernet of the router. But the connection to the Ethernet of the router is likely to require passwords. And I gather from your post that you do not have passwords for the router. And if you do not have passwords then you need to do password recovery. And password recovery depends on having console access to the router. If your PC does not provide the serial connection, then there are USB to serial (9 pin) adaptors that are available. If you get one of those you should be able to access the console port of the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Okay, that clarified a lot. I assume the routers are at factory settings, so since i cannot enable a telnet password without access, I need to get the db9 adaptor.

ty

devlin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card